SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kielder Autumn

Dixie

We are down to a few non-hook up pitches left for the 9th Kielder Forest Star Camp - 26 to 31 October - so book soon if you'd like to join us under the dark Northumberland sky. All electrics and hard standing now reserved. Full event details and booking form at Kielder Forest Star Camp

Vendors will include Widescreen, Ian King, Astronomica, Astrodevelopments and possibly Rother Valley. Four talks on the main day - 29 Oct - all free.

Clear skies,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm thinking of coming up for the Kielder star party but had a query.

I've recently started playing with video astronomy - will there be an area where I will be able to use my equipment without disturbing those more interested in visual and photo? I'd hate to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the event!

I would be covering my laptop with both a surround and a red screen gel to minimise any evil light escaping :-)

Thanks

Jason

Jason

I do webcam so have a similar issue and there's plenty of people with laptops. The key is to make sure they are well filtered with red gel, and if poss have your back to an area without observers behind. Also why not put the lappy in a cardbox/plastic box - which is what I do to shield glare from the sides?

Hope you can make it.

Cheers

Richard

Very much looking forward to our next visit to Kielder, this time I will also be with 'webcam' (thanks Dave!) and thus venturing into the dark and disturbing world that is astro-imaging!

See you all in a couple of months!

Neill & Karen

Am looking forward to this too now, its not to far away and the nights are getting darker.

Just hope my booking for the hard standing / elec hook up got to Richard, as usual I was really early with my booking, wouldn't want to miss out!

Gary

• 1 year later...

I have booked for the 5 nights and looking forward to it. It will all be new to me as I have only had my equinox 120 ed pro neq6 2 months and not really had the chance to try them out properly due to work and weather. Infect only a few hours on 2 nights in the peak District. I think I may need help ! :laugh:

will I need to buy a dew heater and controller also is it worth Buying a cover or will plastic Sheeting do the job ?

cheers

adam

I would strongly advise a dew heater. It has been known to be damp on the odd occasion. You'll need one at some point in the future anyway.

I would also recommend a decent cover.

I never leave my scope on the mount overnight but I'm paranoid some water will get into the electronics.

There will be plenty of people around to help with any problems. Get to know a few faces during the day so you'll know who to turn to at night.

For any other help go to the second static caravan on the bottom field :)

Dave.

Thanks for that. I plan on ordering an astrozap strip and Hitec astro dual controller from ovl tommorow. I have also seen this cover and will ring them to see if it will fit my scope.

http://www.green-witch.com/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egreen%2dwitch%2ecom%2fcgi%2dbin%2fss000002%2epl%3fpage%3dsearch%26SS%3dScope%20cover%26search%2ex%3d23%26search%2ey%3d16%26search%3dACTION%26PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA&WD=cover%20scope&PN=Cases_and_Bags%2ehtml%23agw_2dscopecoat#agw_2dscopecoat

A caravan sounds like a good idea in October, I have had to promise the wife she will not be cold in a tent :laugh:

Adam

Archived