stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

Has anyone considered....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do a trawl, and there are loads of suggestions on this site - green lasers to turn them off temporarily, various firearms to do a more permanent job, writing to the council, etc. etc.

Myself, I'm more a fan of the "accidental sideswipe with a JCB" ploy! :)

Yes have seriously considered it but rejected the idea as dangerous (and I say that as a qualified electrical engineer) and definitely illegal. There are plenty of other approaches that I can still pursue with vigour though!

i have one about 2 yards from my garden they changed it to the new lamp fitting with the new bright white lamp a few months ago and totally lit up the garden and the back of my house it was like daytime in the kitchen and back bedroom, so i emailed gosport council and told them the story and that i was into astronomy and they fitted some sort of grilled deflector thing across the lamp that directs the light away from the house within a couple days , though did still have a white glow from it . did write a second time to ask if they could turn the power down abit but no joy they did say it would dim down in time ,its worth talking to your council they do listen sometimes

good luck

The street lamp about 10m away from my garden doesn't even have a dector on the top. It's crazy it just lights up a patch of road that then turn a corner and ends with a kerb across the road and another street lamp. All this in about 30 yards...

I live at a very dark site indeed but there was one low level light from the village which could get to just one of the observing sites. One day a neighbour's car came off its handbrake and carreened downhill, deep intop a field. It took the lamp with it. Awe, shame!

When eventually the lamp reappeared it was shrouded on my side after I spoke to the Mayor about it. No longer an issue.

Olly

Disabling one streetlight at a site like Olly's will make a significant difference to the viewing experience. Doing it in a town full of streetlights will make no difference at all to the skyglow which is the main interference with viewing.

Hi There,

I complained to the council as in 'who in their right mind would site a lampost here', to my councillor who said 'take a potshot at it!'.

However two ten foot pieces of batten, a dogs leg paintprush gaffer taped to the end a tin of hammerite... priceless. Dark garden.

Cheers

Damian

post-16442-133877641284_thumb.jpg

I have three within view, one street light which is particularly troublesome.

The really bad one I want to take a brick to it but I found that if sit down to observe the street lights are hidden by the fencing. Alternatively I could just put up a temporary blind to block the light. Thankfully it is due south so does not affect my view too much.

Just need to remember not to look at it when I stand up :)

I managed to get a shield fitted on my menace lamp, but that was done by the developers who are still in charge of the (new build) estate I live on.

I have heard about people hoisting up bin bags with fishing rods - if anyone asks, it just blew there :)

Damian - nice job!!

i have one less than ten metres from my garden that wipes out all views due west,, i also have a .22 that would deal with it superbly, however it does a good job for the purpose it was fitted, as its an unmade side road with a number of elderly folk, so i let it stay, and will make more use of my dark site

Some naughty person very, very close to where I live keeps on zapping the street light directly outside of my house with what I can only assume is a 50 mw green lazer from america.

I wonder who he is...........? :)

Just as well as I personally have pleaded with my local council relentlesly for two years now. They dont give a stuff.

I have just realised that the offending street light is actually on during the day... Never noticed it before today :)

That really needs reporting, how un-environmentally friendly is that!

Thought local authorities were trying to save money?

Edited by Ewok
That really needs reporting, how un-environmentally friendly is that!

Though local authorities were trying to save money?

Yeah I will have too :)

Knowing my luck though, I would report it and they would come out and replace it with one of those LED Broadband street lights!

Edited by MjrTom

I've got one 10 meters from my garden but I think its run on plutonium or something,its like a bloomin sun on a stick it completely ruins any observing done in that direction and if I have my back to it the glare shines onto the EP glass its so annoying,I have a friend with a key to open them but I hear they are HV so haven't sabotaged it yet..... Did I say sabotage I meant er.....ummm. Ok ok I meant sabotage. :)

On the odd occasion I need to do anything where the street light gets in the way, I mention to the neighbours that I need to cover it for a little while, then just throw a cover over it for the duration of the session.

Definitely don't disable or damage it in any way! I have the equipment and the ability to knock out lamps up to 150 yards away in near silence, but have resisted the urge, i'm sure you can too :)

Definitely don't disable or damage it in any way! I have the equipment and the ability to knock out lamps up to 150 yards away in near silence, but have resisted the urge, i'm sure you can too :headbang:

I mean, i get what you're saying, but then again... why? :)

Nah, i wouldn't even consider viewing in my garden - there are a ton of lamps within stones throw and the walls are too high anyway. Still, streetlights are one thing - **** off big security lights aimed directly at your prospective dark site are another :)