Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What to expect from an open observatory?

neurostar

So I'm heading off to grad school next week and one of the many academic things I'm excited about is that I'll be able to further my interest in astronomy. I went to a very small school that featured one astronomy class and that was it. But now I'm going to a huge school with a full observatory, an astronomy major, and lots of people interested in astronomy.

The observatory how weekly open observation nights but I couldn't really get much from their website. What is going to an observatory like? Do I actually get to look through their big telescope? :)

This weather it is OK, later in the year it is cold, usually very cold, especially at 2:00AM.

Usually relaxed, but there is an etiquete. It is normally quiet so have subdued conversations.

Find out in advance what they will be looking at, learn a little about it, always useful. Also have half an idea what else is up there, there is the chance that no-one has made up their mind what to look at. Someone coming up with an idea could be appreciated.

Standard thing take a red torch.

If the chance occurs and the system is straight forward see if you can learn, over a few weeks, how to operate it. Standing back letting someone else do it all is one thing but being able to lend a hand will be appreciated.

Would expect you to look through the scope, that tends to be the purpose, although some scopes are dedicated to getting images in one wavelength or another. In effect the only image formed is on the sensor. But little point in people attending these as all you could realistically do is watch others do things.

Later in the year wear several layers, hat, gloves. Gets damn cold as they are generally not heated.

Where is it that you are off to?

How many scopes have they?

Do they hold public evenings?

Archived