Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubble & M52

Shibby

Hi Chaps,

Here's my attempt at the bubble, framed with open cluster M52. I found this quite tought to process, also I think the focus and alignment was a bit out... Net result, it's perhaps a bit messy I think.

90 x 2minutes (3hrs) unguided

20 x T-shirt flats

ISO800, Modded 450d

Skywatcher 150PDS

All comments and critique much appreciated.

Reprocessed Version 2:

shibby-albums-latest-images-picture12656-bubble-final.jpg

Reprocessed:

shibby-albums-latest-images-picture12574-bubble-m52-widefield.jpg

Original:

shibby-albums-latest-images-picture12547-bubble-m52.jpg

Ok, I've reprocessed my image, hopefully this is better - please see original post for the new version.

I've worked hard to control the stars while trying to extract as much detail as I can. I've also done a wider field, putting the Bubble in a bit more context (Tracking errors? What tracking errors?!)

Any comments, good, bad or ugly, I will appreciate.

top one looks ok apart from the edges and maybe some gradient issues. Or is it just stray nebulosity. Longer exposures are really needed to get clean detail.

Are you really sharpening individual stars? I can't believe that. The only time they need attention is if they are very small and faint in which case UnSharp Mask with a suitable radius will only pick up the smaller stars.

Dennis

Thanks for the comments! :)

top one looks ok apart from the edges and maybe some gradient issues. Or is it just stray nebulosity. Longer exposures are really needed to get clean detail.

Are you really sharpening individual stars? I can't believe that. The only time they need attention is if they are very small and faint in which case UnSharp Mask with a suitable radius will only pick up the smaller stars.

The red gradients are indeed nebulosity, but yeah they're just very faint for 2 min subs (no matter how many!) You can see the nebulosity how it should look here:

on skymap.

I haven't been sharpening individual stars, the rings are actually a result of my star mask layer - I will have another go with more careful feathering on the larger stars!

I've just update the original post with a new version (I've left the old ones for comparison).

I've fixed the gradients that shouldn't have been there. I've also fixed some of the problems with the most obvious stars, though there are still some smaller ones with rings :) I've also tweaked the colour balance which has improved the contrast.

Damn, is that the time? I have to be up in 4 hours!

Very nice going Lewis, I would love to do another reprocess for you...:)

Anyone who wants a go, knock yourself out!

astro.lectito.com/bubble-output3.zip

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Nice one Lewis, getting the most from your images.

very impressive removing the star elongation, compared to the original its hardly noticeable.

Darren

Thanks Darren. I believe the better looking star shapes are mostly down to the wider crop! (as well as bloat being a bit better controlled).

Archived