Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

need a new finder

chunky

With the telrad you still need to look along the direction of the tube, but it is much easier to use to quickly get the tube pointed to the right area of the sky. I rarely use the finder now. I still get neck ache though....

what about adding a 2inch or 4inch riser block to it will that make the neck ache easier?

i was trying to use the standard one with the scope last night, i could see where the ring nebula would be and for the life of me i couldnt get the damn scope there.

Maybe its just me but im blaming the finder lol:D

Try a right angled finder - they're a godsend for neck/back ache. I use the Orion 9x50 raci (right angle correct image) on all my scopes. SW do one as well which is allmost an identical model. Used with a Telerad it makes a very effective visual finding system :)

I use two finders, a rigel quikfinder which is a bit like a red dot finder but stands 3" proud of the tube, and an Orion right angle finder. I use the quikfinder to locate a bright star near the object I want to look at, then I switch to the finder scope to star hop to the object.

The Orion right angle finder does cost a bit more than the telerad but it certainly cured my neck problems when using a dob. It was well worth the money.

I bought the telrad couple week back, easyer to use than the standard finder but you still neet to stoop low enough to look through the target, but it is much quicker and easyer to find things providing its alligned with your scope correct so your not bending over for as long, hope that helps, i got my telrad off ebay from a guy in the U.S., it was £37 posted. Altho it took just over a week to arrive it come well packaged and brand new as expected. Hope this helps, if you need the name of the seller let me know il try find it.

Mark.

thaqt rother vally optics has it for 34 if were talking about the same one? but then i think theres a 5ver postage. so should i keep the standard finder on the scope and get the qf. of get the qf and replace the one on the scope for a right angled one. is there a need for 2?

Same gittup as starlady, the lady is right on. I prefer the Rigel QF to the Telrad for the height off the tube, and i traded in my straight through for a right angle. Both are back / neck friendly(er) and can find the faint fuzzies one (QR), two (optical), three (whoop, dere it is).

Joe

I've gone the same route as others. I have the Rigel Quickfinder which gets me close by itself for most objects. And then have a correct image right angle 65mm finder for star hopping (most objects appear in the finder too :))

russ-albums-kit-picture11741-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-rigel-quickfinder-astroboot-65mm-carbon-finderscope.jpg

Archived