SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collimation Safety Tip

Black Shuck

During a conversation with Steve (FLO) he suggested that I post this as a safety tip when collimating a Newtonian.

Having seen the horror pictures of broken secondary mirrors and tools dropping on Primary mirrors I decided to adopt a technique inherited from my days in Mechanical Engineering. Last thing you need is tools dropping into vital components,etc :shock: so we used to recommend that tools were tethered to your belt when working over such items.

All you need when collimating is a piece of string tied to your belt and to the screwdriver/Allen wrench when adjusting your secondary. :)

Hope this is of use?

Bill£

Plus always have the tube hozizontal so that down isn't towards the primary mirror when you drop something.

CC,

This is what I would do but, and you will have to excuse me if this is a stupid statement - i'm new :?, I have heard a number of sources say that you should collimate at the angle you are likely to be viewing/imaging at (45 degrees being a good compromise) especially for accurate astroimaging?? Have you got any thoughts/comments on this??

Cheers

Bill£

I collimate on a star as close to zenith as possible because there's less turbulence in the air. Stars close to the horizon will be hopelessly distorted and not too good for a star test. As a note, I don't have much of an issue with collimation, since the scope is generally permanent, and the C8 has Bob's Knobs. I do check collimation every time I move the scope though, and try to collimate higher up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived