Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Who has naked eye Milky Way?

Earl

Do you have Clear visable Milky Way?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have Clear visable Milky Way?

• Yes all the time
    • Iffy to ok
    • Milky way? thats a choccy bar?

I can see it from horizon to horizon. On a dark night it is truly beautiful. I got up a couple of nights ago as it was clear and DARK again. When I stepped outside it almost stopped me in my tracks. I was tempted to foget the telescope and just get the reclining chair and a pair of 10x50s just so i could soak it up.

Bart

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the very best nights, after rain has washed all the gunk out of the air I can, with averted vision and a touch of imagination, make out a very feint luminous ribbon that just might possibly be the MW.

Other than that, forget it.

When I'm dictator I'll ban all outside lighting.

Dave

Iffy to OK. On good transparent nights of summer I can make it out when it sits at zenith. Dust lanes can be made out and a haze of the milky way is defined from the somewhat light sky of summer. Oddly enough it is a lot harder to make anything out in the dark nights of winter but I put that down to the position in the sky not being so high.

Not that long ago I had a good view of MW on a good clear night but now with some additional local lighting it's a bit of a sore point. Sometimes I think I can make something out but Its probably wishful :) thinking.

Maybe its not wishful thinking. I was working at Churchtown Telephone Exchange the other night and could just make out the Milky Way before the moon came up.

The Isle of Skye and Hinderwell in North Yorkshire have given me my best views.

Variable to Good - Uphill from the N.Wales coast? But a fair bit of "security lighting" from the local Canolfan Fro (community centre!) and coastal illuminations. Not to mention the great metrollopses(!) of Liverpool, Manchester(?) etc. on the horizon... :)

Got to say this thread is a bit of an eye opener to a country bumkin like myself,who's always taken for granted that i can just look up and see the stars.

When light pollution has been talked about up 'til now I've thought more in terms of not being able to see stuff 'as well' ,rather than not at all.Should count my blessings :)

Got to say this thread is a bit of an eye opener to a country bumkin like myself,who's always taken for granted that i can just look up and see the stars.

When light pollution has been talked about up 'til now I've thought more in terms of not being able to see stuff 'as well' ,rather than not at all.Should count my blessings :)

You really should. I didn't see the Milky Way until age 26!

The other side of the coin is that with the majority of people living in cities, the lack of a dark sky is taken as normal and not something to get concerned about. Even when non-astronomers do get to see a properly dark, clear sky they tend to regard it as a "sight" or a wonder - much like going to see the Grand Canyon - something special that you have to travel to see. They never question "why isn't my sky at home as dark as that?"

In a similar vein, I was in my teens before I ever noticed just how dark the night was. We were out walking (on holiday in the countryside) one night and I noticed I was casting a shadow. Fair enough - except I couldn't see any lights that could be causing it. It was a while before I looked up and saw the full moon. Until then I simply hadn't considered the possibility that the Moon could do that.

Even in crowded SE England, on the outskirts of a sizeable town (Burgess Hill), I can get the zenithal MW on most clear moonless nights in my back garden, in summer and early autumn. As a guide, it usually shows up from about Scutum, northwards through Cygnus and Cassiopeia into Perseus, I'm lucky if I can see more than that section. The more southerly section down to Sagittarius is too low in the sky for me from there, although when I go to France it's easy enough.

Appearance? Well I suppose it can't be called spectacular: problem is I know what I'm looking for and where to look for it, so I pick it out where the more casual observer might pass it by. Oh to be a complete newbie once more, gazing with wonder at the skies for the first ever time! (*sigh*).

Perhaps the 'poll' could have been contrived with a few more informative options, if you don't mind my saying so?

Typically my Sky Quality Meter reads 19.8 at the zenith, but that's not dark enough to see Andromeda naked-eye. Even though that SQM reading translates to about a VLM of 5.3, in practice those calculations just don't match my eyes :)
Interesting, such thing are RELATED - Even if evidence doesn't always tally! <G>. An internet search on sky-meters and sundry formulae is interesting tho'? Background (sic!) to my VIDEO astronomy, and all... :)

Archived