SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro Kids Books

AliMac

I've just been reading "the owl who was afraid of the dark" to my two year old daughter. The gist of it is that a wee owl spends the book asking various people about "the dark" to see why they all like it. At one point he asks an astronomer (using a small refractor on what looks like an AZ3) who shows him all kinds of good stuff, including Orion. There's a great picture of it, with the stars in their proper colours, especially Betelgeuse which is a lovely orange. I'm hoping this will kick off my daughter's interest, and I made her repeat the names of the four corner stars.

Does anyone know of any other kids books with an astronomy flavour to them? I'm hoping to have completed the brainwashing by the time she can pester for expensive presents, so any help would be much appreciated!

Hi,

I picked up a couple of good childrens space books from a tk max store, i usualy pop in there and they always have new ones in stock. My little girls 4 and has taken a very keen interest in astronomy and space too, infact she knows alot for a four year old just by me reading to here at bed time, showing her videos on youtube, posters, any other way i can brain wash her lol! She knows all the planets off the top of her head in order, she knows about the ISS, astroids/comets, facts about the solar system and the planets. i learnt her all this by buying her glow in the dark planets and stars and stuck them on her ceiling so at bed time we lie there and i learnt her all the planets ect, now i still get her to name them all to me and also to give me one or two facts about each one, ooohhh jigsaws are good too! They want to know what the building and always ask questions once they have a bit of the puzzle together. im happy with her progress lol she knows as much as me 8-)

I think i have her hooked strong enough for her to keep up the intrest and i know as soon as she gets to see her first planet through a telescope she will be amazed! A good video to sit and watch with her is space school on you tube.

Im not a pushy dad but like all parents want the best for her, she starts school in september im hoping she will become a astronaut hahahaha!!

Mark.

Archived