Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD darks

Hi all,

I was wondering how important it is to take darks for the guide camera before guiding/calibration in PHD. I've not used them before but last night, while playing with my new ST80, I decided to press the 'Take Dark' button to see if it made any difference. The display on PHD was certainly clearer afterwards but does it have much effect on guiding?

Thanks in advance. :)

Mark

Hi all,

I was wondering how important it is to take darks for the guide camera before guiding/calibration in PHD. I've not used them before but last night, while playing with my new ST80, I decided to press the 'Take Dark' button to see if it made any difference. The display on PHD was certainly clearer afterwards but does it have much effect on guiding?

Thanks in advance. :)

Mark

None! But it does decrease the chance of clicking on a hot pixel.

Yea I've clicked on a hot pixel and wondered why it wasn't working. Then I realised none of the "stars" were actually stars, because I'd forgotten to take the lens cap of the guide scope! :)

None! But it does decrease the chance of clicking on a hot pixel.

Ah, I see!

Hands up who's done it :)

Er. Not me gov. I was only joking.

Never took darks but guiding on a hot pixle does cause some head scratching when the subs start rolling in :)

George is that a 'hot pixie'? If so I'd like to know how to guide by that! :eek:

Thanks all (for the answers and the giggles). Question answered.

Cheers

Mark

Yea I've clicked on a hot pixel and wondered why it wasn't working. Then I realised none of the "stars" were actually stars, because I'd forgotten to take the lens cap of the guide scope! :)

Sure you are not the first or last to forget to take a lens cap off, may have done it myself in the past:D

• 2 weeks later...
Hands up who's done it ;)

OK - I'll come clean - yes I've done it in the past:). "Why isn't the %$**&^ guide star moving" - sound familiar? Always take darks now - only takes a minute with PHD and my guide camera (Meade DSI Mk1) certainly has hot pixels galore.

Archived