740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Cheap Modded SPC900

ScubaMike

As I am very ham fisted, it is the only way I would get one.

At £95 it would seem to compare very favourably with the prices at Astronomiser (astronomiser price to upgrade *YOUR* existing cam to this is £105 - and you still need the serial-USB converter).

If you are confident doing the mod yourself, I'm sure you can do it yourself cheaper, but for me, that is not an option.

This is the cheapest I have found for a pre-modified SPC, can you to point me at the cheaper site for future reference.

I think that is the one sold by the owner of another popular Astronomy forum who provides support, tutorials & videos for the buyer via his forum. Not just somone who sells a modded webcam and lets beginners struggle getting them up & running.

Yes if you can diy then it's a lot cheaper.

I think that is the one sold by the owner of another popular Astronomy forum who provides support, tutorials & videos for the buyer via his forum. Not just somone who sells a modded webcam and lets beginners struggle getting them up & running....

He manages to get some remarkable results with his webcams, like this one. Not bad for a £95 cam.

dumbelldone.png

As said, it's a great price if you don't have the capability to do it yourself like me.

I bought mine from a member of SGL who did a couple of others besides his own.

Below is my first and only DSO attempt so far as I ran out of time with the light nights arriving. Bad tracking meant I had to apply a Photoshop technique to round the stars which meant losing some of the dimmer ones and now I can't wait to try again in another few weeks :)

M57_18_05_2011_48ex15s_30darks_registax5_final3.jpg

Edited by Brent

The other alternative for DSO imaging would be is to buy an old Canon DSLR for about the same money. I would imagine you could get better images with that over a modded webcam.

Tony..

Looks good to me - I've tempted to messa round with LX mods for a while but, like other respondents on here, I am a bit ham fisted (lump hammer and pcik axe are more my sort of thing) and I don't really have the time to invest in learning the electronics skills.

For £95 this fits the bill for me.

J.