Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In the dog house.... again!

mark993

I bought my fiance a shiny thing and then she turned around and said I shouldn't spend anymore of my money so that approach hasn't worked for me. Just buying a £65 set of bins resulted in a raised eyebrow so it should be interesting to see how she reacts to the delivery of a scope that costs several hundred pounds when I eventually get one.

Of course this is coming from the women who thinks it's reasonable to pay £150 for a pair of shoes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My missus Sarah loves astro just as much as me, so there's not too much doghouse on that score! :)

On the minus, there's nobody sensible to keep it in check! And I couldn't buy a cooled CCD and make out it cost fifty quid, which is a bit of a shame!!

There's a very easy - and perfectly honest - solution to this.

(although you might not like it!)

Just agree a monthly budget (each!) to set aside for "hobby" spending, and set up standing orders to transfer said amounts into separate accounts or (in my case) a dedicated PayPal account.

I've never budgeted for anything in my life before :) but I've been amazed how quickly the fund builds up and so I can buy - guilt free - some very nice things, even though we've got a family to feed :eek:

this is exactly what we do or did before I was made redundant in May - now got a new job starting in September so may start to have a small weekly 'spends' amount again soon. also, selling stuff to buy is another guilt free way of doing it. I have sold a number of old hobby books which were mine so no funds from family pot.

Just agree a monthly budget (each!) to set aside for "hobby" spending, and set up standing orders to transfer said amounts into separate accounts or (in my case) a dedicated PayPal account.

I've never budgeted for anything in my life before :) but I've been amazed how quickly the fund builds up and so I can buy - guilt free - some very nice things, even though we've got a family to feed :eek:

that sounds like a very good idea indeed i like it and it could also work as a nice little slush fund for when i 'go away' with work.

Well it seems that she is unimportant enough that you don't consider her.

You have blown £330-£380 on a camera for a hobby that you have already said don't get much chance of doing. Also haven't exactly been overly eager to do any.

Exactly what did you expect?

Can i just ask at what point did i say i wasn't eager? I find it a little difficult to get out a lot since i have just come back from Afgan. Plus the camera can also be used in day light as well!!!

Well it seems that she is unimportant enough that you don't consider her. QUOTE]

And another thing who said she was unimportant and that i didn't consider her. I just thought that since i work hard for my money and pay the bills that i deserved a little treat!!!

This is exactly what I've got in mind, mainly because I've got this pang for a Baader Orthoscopic 6mm and a Hyperion 24mm.

I think my observatory is my dog-house.

But I haven't been out there for ages.

I finally got out there for a couple of hours last night until the murk came back over.

If your wife thinks you are spending too much money for your hobby, start watching used Ferrari's from internet. Dont say anything for your wife, close pages quickly when she came up (you have to let her see that you're hiding something)

Print images from used cars and leave accidentally to your table, write some info for them. like "inc new tires and 3000£ carbon rims"

When your wife gets angry and want explanation, tell her that you want your dream from childhood come true and you have found good 2'nd hand 348GTB, only for 35k£, plus maybe 5-7k£ for maintenance, spareparts etc.

When she get's mad of your announcement, give up her little by little and make a deal from new astrostuff.

Just kidding:)

If your wife thinks you are spending too much money for your hobby, start watching used Ferrari's from internet. Dont say anything for your wife, close pages quickly when she came up (you have to let her see that you're hiding something)

Print images from used cars and leave accidentally to your table, write some info for them. like "inc new tires and 3000£ carbon rims"

When your wife gets angry and want explanation, tell her that you want your dream from childhood come true and you have found good 2'nd hand 348GTB, only for 35k£, plus maybe 5-7k£ for maintenance, spareparts etc.

When she get's mad of your announcement, give up her little by little and make a deal from new astrostuff.

Just kidding:)

I like it very devious indeed :)

Not a problem in our house. I have one bank account, my wife has another and together we have a joint account.

An agreed amount from each of our accounts goes into the joint each month and that then pays all the bills.

we are each left with our own free money to do with as we please

simples.

divorce...its cheaper in the long run lol...altho mines ok, if i wanted something we save up and get me it....after about 5 years of haircuts and make overs!

Archived