is this a tal???

garethmob

Certainly looks very TAL'ish :)

It's an old one - 1994 was right at the start of their arrival in the UK. I'm not sure it's worth the BiN price but might be some fun if you could get it for less than £50.

Looks like a Tal Alkor. I have a 2006 model in white with a taller 2 piece pier mount. Nice well made small aperature scope with odd sized eyepieces. 65mm primary mirror Newtonian. Tal's first commercial venture. I paid $75 US. List price was $150 US list but I bought it in a going out of business sale... Len Morin

Ahh, what a shame that It's incomplete. Missing x2 screw in pieces for the pillar and the polystyrene inner tray to hold everything.

I've got an even older battleship gray one, with the interior of the box all fitted out with wooden inserts. Quite lovely. It can use the smaller microscope eyepieces.

You can normally pick up one of these, complete, for between £30-£40 on fleabay.

I bought another 2 of these scopes(for £20) years ago. They make for unbreakable first scopes for youngsters. Two young relatives got them. Still being used by them, I believe, which is great, although my Dad didn't want to let the one he tried, go.

Andy.

Archived