Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pickerings Triangle

Dave Moulton

Hi All,

This was taken on Sunday night while out Sea Trout Fishing on the river Clwyd. I was running the cameras from my smartphone while up to my waist in the river. Not the best idea I have ever had, but it worked out ok although the fishing suffered.

4.5hrs total exp Ha,O3,S2 Astrondon Filters

Meade ED80

Camera QSI583WS

Davedave-moulton-albums-neb-pics-picture12504-pickerings-triangle.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was taken on Sunday night while out Sea Trout Fishing on the river Clwyd. I was running the cameras from my smartphone while up to my waist in the river.

You are going to have to explain this a bit more I think.

You are going to have to explain this a bit more I think.

Mick I'm torn at this time of year between two nocturnal hobbies, night time Sea Trout Fishing, which is fly fishing up to your waist in the river in the dead of night and of course Astophotography

Sunday night was clear as a bell so I took a chance and decided to do both at the same time

I set up the scopes and cameras and bedded them down taking Ha subs, then went fishing , using logmein software on my smartphone to control the laptop in the Obsy remotely, changing filters and setting an imaging run from the middle of the river

Nice result Dave. You going to go for the mosaic? I've still got this central area on my list. Did you actually catch anything?

Hi Mel, I have another image of the witches broom so combining the two is possible but I would need some guidance on that as i've never attempted it. A sound idea though and one I have been musing over this week

Dave

Mick I'm torn at this time of year between two nocturnal hobbies, night time Sea Trout Fishing, which is fly fishing up to your waist in the river in the dead of night and of course Astophotography

A similar problem .... I fish for Barbel and do similar things ..... but at least I have the decency to actually be with the camera at the same time as with the rods!

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/147458-notilucent-clouds.html

:):)

The question is, did you catch?

I'm in the process of making my obsy as remote-controllable as possible, so this thread has already proved very helpful. Especially when the result of doing so is, in this case, nothing short of brilliant. As someone already commented, it has a spooky/ghostly quality to it.

Thanks, Dave.

Very nice image Dave, and a great way you did it.....did you catch anything else as well as photons :)

Rob

Hi Rob thanks for the comments

Yes I did have a couple of fish, brown trout though. one chance of a Sea Trout which jumped clear of the water a couple of times before falling off, as they sometimes tend to do when fresh run from the sea.

In all honesty though its a bit scary running the scopes from the phone plenty of opportunity for it all to go horribly wrong I guess. Setting the mount limits I would say is must, just in case a broken link sends the mount into a big slew. I've had that happen

Cheers

Dave

I'm in the process of making my obsy as remote-controllable as possible, so this thread has already proved very helpful. Especially when the result of doing so is, in this case, nothing short of brilliant. As someone already commented, it has a spooky/ghostly quality to it.

Thanks, Dave.

Cheers for this.

From home I monitor the gear from a netbook using a wired network via those plug in ethernet gizmos that convert your ring main into a wired network. Not that often though as I prefer to go out and keep track of progress that way

I use some free software called logmein as its easy to set up and I'm not that IT Savvy.

My best tip on this would be that if you are running an EQ mount and EQMOD then I would set the mount limits. and also I would not recommend doing this wirelessly as it can go wrong and send the mount into a big slew if the wireless connection goes down when issuing commands, at least it did for me.

Dave

Thats a very splendid result with lovely tendrils on the triangle, doing it while fishing is just bragging. Isn't their an AstroFishing forum you could join?

John.

Archived