Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Taliesin

Hello from Birmingham

Hi My name is Haz, I'm 31 and from Birmingham. I've been interested in Astronomy since I was knee high to a grasshopper and the skies used to and still amaze me. I've never had the opportunity to take up astronomy due to various reasons but am now in the position to actually give it a go.

Having said this I have been watching documentaries and reading up about the heavens for a long time also. Recently I went on holiday to Charmouth in Dorset and went the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth which I found amazing even though I kinda knew what to expect.

I'm looking to purchase my own telescope for the first time and am thinking about the Celestron Nexstar 8SE soon (not sure how soon but within weeks as soon as I have enough money :)

Having an IT background, I think I should be able to handle my way around it but any advice will be invaluable to me as I take everything on board.

I hope to eventually get into astrophotography once I get the hang of the telescope and see where it takes me.

Haz

Hi Haz and welcome to SGL :)

The 8SE is a fine scope optically and it's certainly accurate and sharp enough for snapping the planets/moon with a webcam. It's on an alt/az mount wich tracks in two planes. For tracking in right ascension only (essential for imaging deep sky objects) you should consider an equatorial mount capable of polar alignment, and (for Sct scopes) a reducer.

Read up on focal ratios, polar alignment, and long exposure photography. An excellent book to get is "Making every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (the imagers bible) :eek:

Edited by brantuk

:headbang:hi haz and welcome to the sgl im jimmythemoonlight from merseyside i have 5" skywatcher 130 because im only a beginner but have seen loads its on a eq2 mount which is ok looking forward to talking to you on this wonderful site:hello2:

Hi and welcome

i'm also new to this and ordered that book which arrived the next day,i cant recommend it enough i think it will save me alot of money

Thank you all for the warm welcome...

Brantuk - Thank you for the advice, I am interested in DSO imaging eventually so will look at those mounts as soon as I am comfortable with telescope

I'll order that book straight away while I am waiting to purchase my scope, I can get up to speed and knowing that Mikinio - a fellow newbie also found it very helpful makes it a no brainer.

Looking forward to being a part of this amazing community!

Hi there Haz, welcome to SGL :)

Another vote for Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf).

Easy to read, it's full of good advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment - explaining what kit you'll need and, more importantly, why. Helping you avoid poor choices and costly mistakes. There's also loads of tips 'n' tricks as well as lots of other vital stuff.

Also have a trawl through the imaging sections too. They're full of info and some very experienced and talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

hey there haz, welcome to sgl the celestron 8 SE would be a great scope from what I have heard and you will get some breath taking views :).

Hi Haz and welcome from a fellow Brummie to SGL you will learn loads on hear and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want, no matter how stupid you think the question is the peeps on hear are a great bunch and full of knowledge

Hello Haz,

I bought a 6se when I first started around 8 months ago and since then I've replaced nearly all of the eyepiece and the mount.

I really recommend the 'make every photon count book'.

If I could go back I would have done the research first and planned out what I wanted to acheive, it would have saved me a lot of money!

Gosh...Thank you all for the warm welcome...This community really is very welcoming and also from reading the forums, there are a lot of people with a lot of experience who are so willing to share!

I'm definitely going to get the book as I've already started looking into the fact that the mount that comes with the 8SE isn't equatorial and so isn't very good for DSO imaging...I have a lot of work to do before I buy :) but thank you all for the welcome. I hope to delve deep into this fantastic art.