Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cumbria 3 .....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big thank you to Nina and Val for hosting another excellent star party both myself and James had a great time. :(:)

It's a shame I'm working tomorrow as I would have loved to stay for both nights.... I hope the skies have cleared again for you all.

It was great to catch up with all those I've meet before and to meet everyone else for the first time. A friendly atmosphere with great company and few hours of clear skies.... perfect!!:)

Andromeda Galaxy, Double Cluster and the Milkyway including the Cygnus Rift all naked eye and some amazing views through a variety of scopes including the BIG Dobs..... amazing.

Lastly another big thank you to all those who helped in putting up James' MASSIVE tent that we shared and to Rob for helping us take it down agian. :)

Clear Skies

Good one Kathleen. Nice sharp stars and no trailing - glad the Synguider is working okay.

So .... Cumbria Star Party 3 (CSP3) was a huge success. Great company, great site and great skies on the Saturday evening. We were just setting up the projector to watch some DVDs about 9pm and "magically" it started clearing. The 14" Flextube GOTO was set up and aligned by 9.30pm and the fun began.

M81/M82 in the same FOV in a 31mm Nagler

M31 (and M32 + M110) in a 31mm Nagler

M13, M92, M27, M57 in a 13mm Ethos

Albireo in a 10mm Ethos

Jupiter + 3 moons, equatorial bands etc in a 10mm Ethos

Albireo in a 10mm Ethos

Pleiades and Double Cluster in 15 x70 and 28 x110 (WOW!!!) binoculars - Great Binoculars Mike and Robbie - I'll give you at least a tenner for them - but throw in the tripod and mount please : ))

Clear skies until I went to bed at 2.45am - although some people managed to finish a bottle of Isle of Jura single malt and stay awake (just) until 4am.

Nina - a MASSIVE THANKYOU for again running a super star party. Many Hugs to You and Val, great to see you both, and lots of love.

Oh ... and happy birthday to Mike (Demon barber) once again - I will post a couple of images of the group and birthday cake + candles later today.

Off to "GO Outrdoors " to try to get a VANGO 500 - my wee 2 man just isn't good enough any more.

Hope to see you all at Galloway and Kielder.

Tom

Just got back

Many thanks to Nina for the all organising and running about, and to all for such a friendly gathering (nice drop of stuff that Jura), for my first star party.:)

See you at the next one.

Hello again everybody! Thank you so much for saturday,it has been everything amazing! I don't have eough words to explain how wonderful weekend it has been... both for my lack in english and for the lack in general of good enough words :)

it has been my (and my husband) first star party and it couldn't be better than this, wonderful sky, wonderful people, i've learn how to find the M13 (and i'm super proud of it XD) and to give a little more sense of what i see in the sky, a little more knowledge about telescopes and what i hope one day will be something i'll be good at: astrophotography. I wish i would have asked more questions and curious more around the astrophotographers of the night but i didn't want to possible ruin their work and the time went by so fast and before i realized it was 2:30, i was cold and wet and getting sleepy :(

also, saturday night we talked (before the Jura, so i don't know who remember...) about sketches and here is the link of mine i promised i would have posted.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/153457-sun-sketch.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/153459-sketch-jupiter.html

hope you like it!

Thanks again to Nina and i can't wait to see you again for the n4!

Cheers!

Sounds like a 'braw' time was had by all. Real glad you lot got some decent skies in.

As for

although some people managed to finish a bottle of Isle of Jura single malt and stay awake (just) until 4am

Wusnae me or Dave this time sadly ,lol. Highland Park and Jura , cultered Scots. Hope to make the next one , along with another nice Malt.

Clear Skies

Pete

Thankyou so much everyone for a great CSP. I am pleased we all got some viewing in on Saturday.

If all of you did not put the effort in, I would be sitting in the field by myself. It really is all of you that make the party. Thankyou so much.

I really enjoyed everybody's company. You are all a great bunch of people. Thanks to all of you 1st timers, I hope you all thought it was worth it.

Alan, Thanks for forgetting your tent poles, I laughed only an hour ago about that and all the one-liners that were getting batted about. Ace.

Hope to see you all at Galloway

Nina

Many thanks to everyone from Sandra and myself for making our 1st star party a success. Sandra is now obsessed about an obsession...... thanks Mike :). It was the best view of M31 we have seen through an eyepiece.

So despite Sandra complaining about the cold she is talking about going out and buying thermals so we shall meet again at CSP4.

Enjoy Galloway

Andy

Poor Alan, he must hae been 'pole' axed about that omission.

Mind you , I reckon he could have used Mikes Obsession , just threw his tent over it and he would have had a WigWam !

Clear Skies

Pete

Hah, was an expensive mistake, but made for a lot of laughs.

I couldn't have used Mike's Obsession either Pete, turns out he's bought a little toilet tent especially for it.

Nina, again, thank you so very much for organising this. It was a real blast. Great company and the most incredibly clear skies.

At one point, a group of us, newbies and long term amateur astronomers were having a hard time finding Cygnus and Albireo. The reason? There were too many stars.

What a nice problem to have.

The trip back was a bit of a nightmare - once Nina had dropped George and I at the train station, we were heading into a 45 minute wait for a train, which was fine.

Trouble was, the conductor of that train decided he didn't want to organise things so we could fit the trolley in and while sending us from one end of the train to the other, told the driver to take off, leaving us with another hour to wait.

All good though, it gave us an opportunity to get a Subway for lunch.

I still haven't sorted through all my photos, although I'm starting to realise that learning photography in my case will involve throwing away a lot of what seem like nice images on the camera's LCD.

I've only had time to process this one so far. We didn't see much of Val this weekend, she's been pretty busy according to Nina and had a few things to do, but she popped in for a little while on the Saturday night and stood in front of my camera without realising it I think.

I'll post more images as I sort through them.

George says he had a great time and he's really looking forward to the next one, which I believe is Galloway in five weeks time.

Again, thanks to Nina for organising all the CSP's and thanks to everyone who attended for making it fun.

Alan

post-26120-133877653352_thumb.jpg

What a shame Alan, I felt awful just leaving you at the entrance but if I had not moved the van I think I would have been the victim of some sort of road rage :)

Roll on CSP4, in November the Milky Way will be ace. Hopefully will get to Galloway before then.

Speak soon

Nina

Managed to get my synguider working long enough to take this quick

shot of M57 from the Cumbrian star party.

I'm glad your getting your guiding issues sorted and nice pic Kathleen. :)

I'll post more images as I sort through them.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few more images Alan, it wasn't until I got home I realised I hadn't taken one pic myself... oops.

Also looking forward to Cumbria 4 - by the comments it looks like the Jura went down well (probably a bit too well...hic...:() I'll make sure I pack another bottle for November!! :)

Cheers

What a shame Alan, I felt awful just leaving you at the entrance but if I had not moved the van I think I would have been the victim of some sort of road rage :)

Roll on CSP4, in November the Milky Way will be ace. Hopefully will get to Galloway before then.

Speak soon

Nina

Noo, Nina, it was fine, I had already taken up too much of your time already!

It was fine, the wait didn't do anyone any harm.

I'll get more photos up as I can - I want to turn the images of the fire I took into an animation too.

And Lorne, I think the price tag of that tent will be engraved on my soul...

Alan

Just like to add my thanks to Nina for a great event. Not only were the skies excellent on Saturday but we were treated to an exceptional sunset on Sunday.

This is two images from my phone joined with MS ICE. It doesn't do the sky justice but you've got to shoot with what you have to hand...

Sunset 28 Aug 2011 at Cumbria Star Party | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

John

Hi,

Yeah Kathleen, I am also pleased you had a better time equipment wise, it is a good photo. Well Done.

Great pictures guys, Steve, I am the same - not one picture was taken.

Sounds like we all had a great time, which we did but all the feedback is great to read. Had another chuckle about you tent Alan...Sorry.

Have you noticed that our thread has been viewed nearly 2000 times. Wows

See you all soon

Nina

2067 views Nina, your Cumbria Star Parties are building up quite a following. : )

I only took photos of Mike's birthday bash on Sunday, nothing else. I was so excited to get the unexpected clear skies on Saturday night that the 5+ hours until I zonked out at 2.45am on the Sunday I observed only, completely forgetting the camera and tripod etc. Still, the observing was good and the clear skies great. Just remember the Ring Nebula showing up clear in the 10mm Ethos on the 14" Flextube - a hint of green colour and a crisp ring, with a slightly twisted structure to it - awesome.

Take care Nina, Galloway is only 4 weeks away : ) I am already excited by the thought.

Tom

Archived