SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cumbria 3 .....

Hi All, I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get a Cumbria 3 thread going. (I did say last week I would put on on) I promise you, it is not a reflection in any way as to how I feel about Astronomy and organising a Star Party. I cannot wait and feel so privileged you all want to attend a No.3.

Anyhoo apologies over, lets get to business.....

The date we have set for No.3 is Saturday 27th August. It will be a weekend party, packing up on the Monday.

Eveything will be pretty much the same as last time and will be making bacon sandwiches in the mornings (let me know if you want one).

The only thing I would change from last time is cooking tea for eveyone - Val and I felt as if it unexpectedly put the cost up for you all. We are sorry for that. Also it did stress us out a tad. How does this sound - I bring the bbq back out but we all just cook our own when we want it. I suppose this would be ok but I think we all quite enjoyed the sitting eating together. Or we could all just chip in a couple of quid each on the day, fly to asda, get bits and bobs and we could all do our bit cooking.

I am sure Alan had a good suggestion for meal times but I cannot remember how it worked. What was it again Alan?

Apart from that I think all will be the same. Can anyone think of anything else that needs changing or adding or even taken away?

For first timers the Star Party has a cost of either:

£15.00 for the weekend without a morning bacon buttie.

£20.00 for the weekend which includes a bacon buttie on both mornings (Sun/Mon). (Sorry they have gone up 25p each. This was more to cover some of the cost for the coffee etc)

Tea/Coffee/Diluted Juice etc is available all weekend at all times. This is all set up on a table with a kettle in our little communal area. Also in this area is a little bbq,electric points and plenty of tables and chairs.

I know that the date set is not good for everyone. I do not mind holding a No.4 pretty soon before or after No.3. I do not mind when this is. If there are any preferred dates let me know. Perhaps if we held it the weekend after and No.3 people wanted to attend both, equipment could be left here to save packing up cars again. Let me know what you think.

I am going to dash as this post is getting quite long. Speak soon.

Nina

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nina nice one:hello2: think chipping in would be fine,how about a fiver? I am more than happy to bring chili again :eek:,

any way book me in for the duration, get the order in for the clear skies and were all set :).

Looking forward to seeing everyone,

ATB

Mike

I'm up for the weekend too so thats £20 from me. Also happy to chip in £5 towards shopping etc. Having bought an air bed and industrial strength tent pegs I'll be sleeping comfortably too.

See you all there :)

John

Great stuff Folks.

Val and I are the same, we don't mind chipping in a fiver each for the food kitty.

Gosh John, you are going to be camping out in style with an air bed. Steve lent me a little adapter type thing to blow one up with - have you still got that Steve? Would you mind bringing it down?

Glad to hear you can make it Steve, your gloves are still here from No.1

Mike, I so appreciate all you do for the star parties but why don't you take it easy this time. Just pack your stuff in the car and cruise over. We will have a little discussion nearer the party. See how you are feeling etc.

Anyhoo glad you can all make it. Speak to you all soon.

Nina

Xx

Happy with the date and arrangements. I will be there both nights.

Currently in Grasmere chilling out, wifi in Hotel is bad, so no long replies from me today.

Home soon (unfortunately).

Looking forward to Cumbria 3.

Love to Nina and Val

Tom

Gosh John, you are going to be camping out in style with an air bed. Steve lent me a little adapter type thing to blow one up with - have you still got that Steve? Would you mind bringing it down?

Yeah the little electric air pump with universal adapters, still got it, I'll bring it down. :eek: It works a treat and a lot less tiring than a foot pump!!

Glad to hear you can make it Steve, your gloves are still here from No.1

Cool I'd forgotten all about the gloves!!

For anyone who hasn't been before - The Cumbria Star Parties are small but perfectly formed with a really friendly atmosphere and Nina and Val are great hosts. :)

Looking forward to catching up with you all again. :)

Hello,

Yes Val and I are looking forward to it also.

We are going to limit numbers again to hope to keep that cosy feel.

I hope that we get the weather this time. You missed No.3 but we did not get any viewing in anyway. We want weather like the 1st one.

We are nearly into August so it won't be long.

Speak soon

Nina

Hi Nina,

A Good friend of mine James would also like to come along for the Saturday night, could you add him to the list please? :)

He's only recently got his first scope and is not yet a member of SGL so I said I'd post for him until he joins. When he does he will post on the thread and say hello. :eek:

Cheers

Hi All

Have just signed up for the weekend and am really looking forward to it.

It will be my 1st star party, so be gentle with me :)

I hear a bottle of malt wouldn't go amiss :eek:

see you there

Phil

Hi Phil, So pleased you are making Cumbria 3 your 1st party. I am sure you will have a great time. Yes I think you are right a bottle of malt could come in handy.

Robbie, I know!!! Disaster!!! So sorry you cannot make it. There should be a No.4 though

Speak to you all soon

You have me down already I hope? If not, I'm up for the full deal, one way or another, both nights, 20 of your English pounds.

Mike, will you have room for an Australian and a ten inch dob on your way through please? More than happy to chuck in for fuel.

Alan

Hi there you are only 40 miles away so I would like to sign up for the weekend with my wife.

There are a few questions I could not answer in relations to toiletres and ablutions. I did camp many years ago but Sandra has never camped before so is not exactly brimming with excitement :)

perhaps you could enlighten me (us) on how the facilities are provided.

Is it payment in advance or do we just turn up on the day?

Andy & Sandra

HI Andy i`m sure Nina will be along shortly,as to facilities they are basic and clean,a loo and washbasin close to the viewing field,there are sockets available in the warm room,,next to loo,with tea and coffee facilities,so if your unlucky enough to run down your battery im sure Nina would accomodate you.Nina and Val put on a great do.

Best to book as numbers a limited to give a very friendly mix and i can say without hesitation that you will be both made very welcome,

There is also a huge barn in case the weather plays up,it was used to great effect last time with an impromptu barbie and lots of whiskey,

i blame our scottish cousins!!!!!!! A great time was had by all,look forward to meeting you and yours see you there

ATB

Mike

Ps the views are just awsome.

You were right Mike, I was only 4 minutes behind you :).

Hi Andy, I think Mike has said it all really. and I have popped the both of you on the list. Great Stuff, Thanks for coming.

Your query re payment - Yes just pay on the day. If you could just let me know nearer the time if you would both like a bacon sandwich in the mornings so we can go and buy supplies that would be great.

I am sure we have put the cost on the first post but it is £20 for the weekend per person with the sandwiches or £15 without the sandwiches.

I am sure you will both have a great time. Lets all just hope for good weather.

I am going to go and have a look at Cumbria 2 thread and see how many confirmations there are and see how the numbers are looking. Will pop back soon.

I was 4 minutes behind you, it has taken me so long to type this out.

Speak soon

Nina

Xx

Right them peoples, we, at the minute, are a group of ten :)

I think we should keep numbers pretty much the same as the last parties. We still have a couple of places left - What do you all think? about 5 or so more.

Gosh we are nearly full already!! I know we have the space to accomodate more if needed but would we still have the same Star Party atmosphere?

Anyhoo I had better dash, Thanks to you all and speak to you all soon

Nina

Mike, not sure if you answered, can you fit in an Aussie and a ten inch dob on your way past? Will chip in for fuel obviously - if not me, could we squeeze the scope in?

No stress if you can't, I'll figure something out!

Looking forward to it!

Alan

trying to work out where you are. I have the post code CA6 5LH.

Google earth drops that on a house at the edge of a field which is close to the road leading up to some ex MOD site.

Do you have more explicit directions?

Andy

Archived