SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Power and Data Box

yesyes

I cured my USB drop out problems with a PC Mother Board with enough socket on the rear to take all my bits of kit, it does mean a bundle of leads going up the side of the pier but it the stuff plugged in the end has worked for a couple of years with no lost imagine time due to stuff failing to work.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, NEM said:

Hi Chris,

I'm looking for a USB hub and that one looks interesting.  Am I right in assuming that the DC socket on the hub itself takes 5V?

In the description it says

Input: AC 110v-240v, 50/60 Hz

Powered by bus-power, or by external power adapter (NOT INCLUDED)

which is slightly confusing.  If you have to supply your own adaptor I'd have thought you could power it from anything.

Noel

Yes, the hub can be powered with a 5V PSU. This description is indeed a bit misleading. When I ordered mine they did actually come with a 5V PSU, even though the description said it is not included. I'm not sure this is the same seller though. The listing I bought from has expired (it's been a few years). I just picked the first listing with the same model to show which one I have.

OK, I finally got around to measuring whether these hubs would fit in my box. They should... just...

So I ordered 2 and will replace the existing hubs when the new ones arrive. Let's hope they are as good as their reputation. For that price they better be! ;-)

And thanks to hughgilhespie for the post about the jumpers. This should solve another problem I've been having. My PC doesn't power down the rear USB ports when it shuts down. So even with the PC off it would still keep the 5V in the box powered up. With these Startech hubs I can then configure them to only use the power supply in the box and not from the USB bus.

13 hours ago, Gina said:

Didn't arrive Sunday but this morning.  Proper job! :)  Really looks the business :)

Gina

How big is the Hub.  I'm intending on using two of these stripped out of it's case.  I haven't used them in vain yet but just tested them in the USB 3.0 port to see if the QHY etc will still talk.  I have had a couple ebay ones where the QHY wouldn't connect through the hub.  I have limited space in my box to fit the power supply, circuit boards and hubs.  These are 80mm square

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/peripherals/usbhubs/h4818-u3-bk.html

image006.thumb.jpg.d60bec329b09f0c1ee884

--

Mark

I don't yet know how big the actual circuit board is as I haven't opened the box but I will be doing so to alter a switch to use external power only and not USB from the laptop and will then know.  I'll probably take a photo.

First of all I had the wrong jumpers for the power but here is the right information.

HERE IS THE INFO ON THE JUMPERS

Inside the box, on the top side of the circuit board there are two small standard type jumpers. They are located near the bottom edge of the board holding it so you can read it.

The two jumpers are marked U and T in small letters on the circuit board.

U stands for USB power, in other words power from the upstream USB on the computer,

T stands for Terminal, and means the power supplied from the green Phoenix connector.

BOTH are connected as the hub is shipped. To use ONLY the external power, meaning no power connection to the computer, remove the U jumper, and leave the T jumper in place. Of course if you want only computer power, you could remove the T.

I think for most applications, the ability to run on 7-24 volts, especially on the 24 VDC is important. If you are running that for a supply, it makes good sense to isolate the computer USB supply by removing the U jumper.

Also, the hub is completely transparent in the USB system. Some of our equipment is pretty particular about connections, drivers and address in the USB area, but this has not been any issue with this hub.

56e037a3a20d5_StarTechUSBHubInside03.thu

20 hours ago, Gina said:

Here we are - photo of the inside of the StarTech.

56e03087135ab_StarTechUSBHubInside01.thu

Thank You.  If these Novatech Hubs arn't up to scratch one of these will fit just nice stripped down :0)  Now to see why my Nano is OK on the breadboard and jumper wired into the pcb headers but when plugged into the pcb it keeps rebooting!!

On 2/25/2016 at 22:55, yesyes said:

That's impressive. I'll measure the space in my box tomorrow and see if it will fit to replace the existing hubs.

I just wish they would have built it differently. I'd prefer the 7 ports on the side where the brackets are and only the USB feed and power on the side where they are now. I could mount it directly on the side of the box and could do away with these pigtail cables.

I

Thanks for all the info, i've just bought one of the startech hubs as well. i thought it best to start upgrading the peripherals as well to help cut out some of the intermitant faults that occur.

9 minutes ago, yesyes said:

Neil, did you want to say more than just "I"? :D

Yes but I had an attack of old person inability to use technology. My Dad was right when he said i'd start losing my techno savy at 40 and become unable to use a phone. I'll stop mocking him from now on!

On 19/03/2016 at 16:39, ncjunk said:

Yes but I had an attack of old person inability to use technology. My Dad was right when he said i'd start losing my techno savy at 40 and become unable to use a phone. I'll stop mocking him from now on!

I think there are a few on here who would certainly confound that assumption.

Archived