Imaging is spoiling my enjoyment - Back to visual

iwatkins

Hi All,

I've been a visual observer with various instruments over the past 25 years.

This year I decided to take the plunge and get into imaging.

Got the 80ED and the NEQ6. Got the various adaptors, software etc. etc. Already had a DSLR. Got the excellent "Make every photon count" (saved me a lot of money and grief).

I don't have an obsy/pier so it has become a real pain to setup. I don't have much spare time so I need a good clear night before I even consider setting up.

I'm at that point now where I'm thinking I need an pier/obsy (difficult), need to think about dedicated CCD, filter wheels, guide scope, guide camera, narrowband filters, quality power, decent laptop etc.

I've given five months of my life to reading everything, trying everything, imaging until I almost fall asleep. I have got some good images to show for it though.

Bottom line, I no longer enjoy astronomy. :eek:

So, imaging is not for me. I gave it a fair crack.

Next step, sell the gear, get a SkyTee or similar for the 180 Mak and maybe a big Dob. Setup time back to under five minutes. And just wheel the kit out and push it around the sky looking at things as the months pass bringing them back into view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure imaging is really enjoyable for many, I can see why. Just not for me.

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Most kit in my sig will be in the For Sale section in a few days :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The setup nightmare was my main reason for building the obsy, only thing i have to do now is attach the Canon, but that will be gone in a few months also as I will get a CCD.

But I agree with all the faffing, its a lot of hard work. and I did consider selling it all and pursuing other interests.

Setting up each night for imaging is tiresome, hence why I built an obs. :eek:

....although I find that having an obs with all the kit set up for imaging makes me less likely to observe. At least with having to set up you can choose to go visual or imaging.

I packed up at about 3:30 on Saturday morning and the sky was gorgeous, but because I'd been busy doing a load of testing I hadn't actually taken a full look at the sky. I really had the urge to just sit and stare, but I was shattered and needed my bed :)

I'm thinking of getting an easy to set up Dob to complement the imaging rig so that, when eventually I am competent enough to let the imaging run without too much intervention, I can also get my visual fix. And I'll also be able to choose to just do relatively hassle-free visual some nights too.

But its really a case of just doing whatever you enjoy!!

Helen

I can understand this completely! - is this the REAL Steppenwolf?

Technical issues, less than perfect weather, faffing about at the start of the session even though I have an observatory is all taking its toll and I serious wonder if I've lost the plot BUT then the nights that it all comes together - oh heaven .......... That's why I do it!

Good luck sir ! I do wish sometimes why do we even bother imaging in the UK, being the weather being that bad, I use to observe before - less expensive & you do enjoy it, at least I did anyway ! The way my health is going you could see another Convert maybe soon !

Nadeem.

I would keep the kit and gear, the best possible route for you is to do both by getting a simple mount and scope for quick visual use, you can then do visual while imaging. I have a covered telescope mount/scope in my backyard and it takes just as long to setup the DLSR for photography as it does to fetch out my Easytouch & mount for visual.. The fastest of course is good old eyeball and bino`s

Hi Ian, if you had asked me the same question at 2am this morning i would be absolutely with you having seen the laptop blue screen (again with Maxim) on the best night for ages! Dug the eyepieces out and enjoyed the rest of the time.

An interesting turn around, good luck with the observing :)

I guess your own observatory and good weather can make a difference to the perception of imaging. But for most we have neither...

My son and I have the setup for imaging down to less than 10 minutes setup, after getting the scope mounted on the tripod and power connected. It took us a while figure out how to get good polar alignment with our scope, but it's now no longer than it took to polar align for observing. So the extra setup just includes bolting on the guidescope and counterweight, mounting the guide camera, routing all the cables to our netbook (for autoguiding), and mounting the Canon camera.

With the camera, we've been able to "see" (in images) much fainter and prettier objects than we ever could have seen visually. Plus, we get to share these with our family and friends. Yes, it took some time and practice and research and a little money to make imaging successful, but it's been well worth the effort so far.

I perfectly understand this. All mobile imagers are incredibly heroic. I have observatory based setups but I still have a little setting up to do, taking out laptops etc. I am going to build a new observatory that will have fixed computers and the most streamlined setup I can think of. I want to be under way in around five minutes. When I'm not imaging, usually through exhaustion(!), my favourite astro activity is a quick spin with the big Apo and a nice TV widefield. The 20 inch sees far deeper but the sheer beauty of the tiny pinprick stars of all colours and the velvety depth of the night always make me feel a sonnet coming on!

There are other ways to do some imaging when and if you fancy. There are rent a scope systems and holiday providers who offer imaging with in-house setups.

Olly

I have to say, I've only briefly tried my hand at imaging, but all my sessions have been filled with and ended in frustration as I try to find my way around my camera/adapter in darkness. That's not to say I've given up, I think it's nice to have something to show, a timeless visual that reminds you that you were looking at Saturn or M51 etc at that very moment in time.

I must agree, it can be the most frustrating exercise in futility....all that work, and not a single good image to show for it on some nights....equipment, software, hot, cold, mosquitos, sore back, chronic lack of sleep. Not to mention the expense and the furrowed eyebrow look from the significant other.

There are nights I just don't want to hassle with it, I put my Dob out on the deck and have a nice, relaxed, quite evening of oberving...

But, as Steppenwolf pointed out, there are the nights that it all comes together and you get that beautiful image you started down this path in the first place for...then every mosquito bite, sore back, sleepless night, tempermental software glich, angry stare and dollar spent is worth it.

I luv this hobby!

I understand completely.

My opinion is, if circumstances permit, do both.

I think pure observing is how, and why we all got into this.

But imaging (even at my bottom level) lets me see things my eyes cannot.

it also allows me to share this passion.

But that's just my opinion.

If your decision feels right, then it is.

Enjoy.

I think its about the science and the pleasure of observing thats key for me. That said I still have the DSLR and plan to take some more images.

I'm going to buck the trend here also (hey,its me!). I'm not interested in stunning images.. I'm going to start an album of one shots or maybe 5/10 stacked (if i can ever work that out).. and no major processing, its more a case of pulling out more than the eye to truly feel that DSO buzz in a natural format. In fact the only thing I'm going to do is lose LP in Gimp2 on those images.

I dont need it to be perfect..

I know like every other piece of data I own. It will end up in my DONT DELETE folder on my archive drive.. lost in 200gb of files I have on there.

Sorry. its late

For years I've been just visual, with my mighty 16" dob, I saw loads, but then like you I wanted to try imaging.

I bought a HEQ5 and am planning to do videoastrophotography and at the moment am just learning my way around an EQ mount.

It's interesting and is keeping me busy. I agree there is alot of faffing around but to me it's all new.

Ask me in 6 months and I might say exactly the same as you.

A skytee and a WO GT81.

The roofs only been off the obs once this year and that was to get rid of a wasps nest...

Trying to re-kindle some interest but struggling... let's hope we have a decent indian summer and winter or everything will be stripped out and boxed up...

Don't think I will ever get "excited" by visual.. It just doesn't do anything for me :)

Peter...

Entirely agree with the sentiments of the OP. A decade ago I had a SN search programme going at every given opportunity, I was chasing occultations, analysing spectra and was generally a "serious" amateur astronomer -- my hobby was becoming more like another job. A crooked back led me to sell most of my kit and replace it with P-mounted big binocs.

It was like discovering astronomy all over again, same thrill as I got when I was 10 yrs old. Now I'm a "happy hobbyist", and don't give a toss that I'm no longer considered to be "serious" (always rated sincerity higher than seriousness anyway :)).

Archived