Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Cocoon in RGB w/GT81

Deneb

Hi

Took this shot with the WO GT81 & the Atik 383L+ using 1.25" filters. Initially I was going to blend the Ha image, but it seems i'm getting some rotation effects when laying them together, i'll post that image up later. RGB 60:60:60 w/ Darks. No Flats & Bias.

COCOON1280.jpg

COCOON1280crop.jpg

Cheers

Nadeem.

Hi Nadeem,

Following your PM I'll be as critical as I can. Scope performing perfectly. No flats yet amazingly even illumination. Clean stars to the edge. Pretty impressive!!

Slight misalignment of the red channel. It is a little high in this orientation.

No star bloat whatever.

In the processing, off the top of my head, I think you might squeeze out more contrast between the background sky and the darker dust lane around the nebula. Background sky just maybe a smidgen on the red side? Not sure. Second thoughts, maybe not red. I'd use PI's Background Neutralization but I don't remember if you have PI? I'll run the image through it if you send ma a copy.

I picked up a good one from MartinB which might help. Ps, Lab colour mode, split channels, channel a and channel b, just apply the standard contrast tool quite aggressively (20 to 30) and merge channels. If it is too much paste it onto the original and lower the opacity.

I think you have a truly cracking telescope there, really classy. And just a bit less expensive than an FSQ...

Olly

Thanks, I know there's some mis-aligment issues in the image, my current concern is the colour of the stars. Are the star colours showing what a triplet ought to ?

Nadeem.

For a £700 triplet and wonderful quality OTA and focuser I'd say its very VERY good, I would bother wishing for a '' dedicated'' flattener either as the one your using is awesome..

You cant expect the Holy Grail for £700, as I mentioned today you should try a visual comparison with the ED80 Sky-watcher... I'll put my money on the Wo against the Moon limb and Alberio double testing real colour & no yellow edging...

If you want slightly better find a 'second hand' LOMO ZS80 William Optic for £650+ ... Astro Buy and Sell there are loads of em... but have they been dropped or left in a damp garage/obs for the last 3 years?

'Buyers Remorse' ? I just googled it :)

Thanks, I know there's some mis-aligment issues in the image, my current concern is the colour of the stars. Are the star colours showing what a triplet ought to ?

Nadeem.

I think the star colour looks fine. Getting the red properly aligned will clinch it. You will need to shoot something with a big blue star in it to know just how close to the best this is, but my guess is that it is going to be vanishingly close.

The star colour in this region is not intense so I think the WO has done incredibly well. I'm probably less of a WO fan than most but this one really does seem to deliver. (Some of their scopes offer more cosmetically than mechanically in my view.)

My recent experience with the Altair 115 suggests that premium optics may be getting more affordable.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Nadeem,

Following your PM I'll be as critical as I can. Scope performing perfectly. No flats yet amazingly even illumination. Clean stars to the edge. Pretty impressive!!

... No star bloat whatever.

Well that's a relief :)

I confess I have been waiting with baited breath for your first image from the GT-81 but didn't notice it posted here until today!

Excellent stuff Nadeem, thank-you for sharing :smiley:

Steve

Archived