SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First use of OIII Filter

gfletcher

Hi Guys

The skies in Shropshire are clear but there is a slight haze tonight.

Anyway, i tried out my OIII filter using a 24mm hyperion on my 12" flextube dob.

I targetted the Veil Nebula next to 52 Cygnus.

At first i used my 32mm panaview (no OIII filter as i only have the 1.25")

I could not see the Veil at all :)

Once i put the 24mm with the OIII filter there it was :eek:

The first time i have been able to see it.

With darker and more tranparent skies it should give me a clearer view, anyway i am pleased i was able to detect it.

I then tried M27 Dumbell Nebula and the OIII filter really brought this one to life , very distinct shape.

cheers

Graham

The difference an OIII makes on the Veil is stunning. Never forget the first time I actually saw the veil through a scope with an OIII - magic moment :eek:

Last night I spent some time on M27 dumbbell nebula too. Thinking I might sketch the difference in what I see on M27 between OIII filter and no filter. It's quite a big difference!

Just wait until you get that OIII on M42. It'll knock your socks off! :)

The difference an OIII makes on the Veil is stunning. Never forget the first time I actually saw the veil through a scope with an OIII - magic moment :eek:

Last night I spent some time on M27 dumbbell nebula too. Thinking I might sketch the difference in what I see on M27 between OIII filter and no filter. It's quite a big difference!

Just wait until you get that OIII on M42. It'll knock your socks off! :)

How true, the O-III is the king of Nebula filters IMO

Regards Steve

Sounds a great first night out with the OIII Graham. Just amazing what a difference it makes.

Double thumbs up for the OIII from me. Some filters it's really dubious whether they actually add anything to the experience. But not the OIII, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Even from the garden i can see the Veil so clearly with the 250PX, 31mm Hyperion and OIII. Can't recommend one enough. Especially as they only start at £46 for a 2" model.

Just a word of warning.....you maybe a little surpised by the thickness of the filter housing. Has a much larger profile than any other filter i've seen. But it's not an issue in use. :)

OIII for a Megrez 90, Baader, Skywatcher or...?

It has to cut through London LP, and I'd be looking at a 2" so I can leave it on the diagonal while I change EPs.

At some time in the future I'll be looking for a bigger scope (Aperture fever for ever!), current best option looks like a Skywatcher 180 Mak/Cass.

Dave

OIII for a Megrez 90, Baader, Skywatcher or...?

It has to cut through London LP, and I'd be looking at a 2" so I can leave it on the diagonal while I change EPs.

At some time in the future I'll be looking for a bigger scope (Aperture fever for ever!), current best option looks like a Skywatcher 180 Mak/Cass.

Dave

Good call on the Mak Dave, but be aware they take 3-4 hours to cool down properly to perform at their best.

Obviously not too much of a problem if it's left outside.

Bit of a change in observing habits is called for if not though.

They offer some stunning views once at temp I was fortunate enough to have a look through one quite recently.

Some people say that O-III filters are better with larger apertures (over 8") and that with the smaller scopes a UHC works better.

The O-III they say is too aggressive for smaller apertures and cuts too much light out.

Might be best to try one first.

The UHC is a great filter too.

Regards Steve

Thanks for the call on the OHC Steve.

I had a look at the Castell site linked to earlier, and the Astronomik OHC filter looks interesting (Interesting price too :)). Especialy revealing are the various band-pass diagrams.

Given the foul LP here that particular filter may do the biz for my little scope. must start saving (Trouble is I'm due a big card bill this month :))

Dave

Archived