Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

meade 5000 5.5mm plossl

andrew63

Hi - I see some of the retailers have the 9mm in the series for the same price. I was using this e/p yesterday evening in my Mak Cass and it was very good on double stars. I'm tempted to get the 5.5mm. At this price, its only a few pounds more than I paid on SGL secondhand for the 9 and 26mm a while back. Good deal!

Ed

Hi - re. the above - it looks like they might price match for you if you want to go ahead. I've just added the 5.5mm and the 14mm to my existing collection - the 9mm and the 26mm.

They are nice eyepieces. Well made, with a good quality feel and sound optics.

All the best. Ed

I have all the Meade 5000 eyepieces in Plossyl and the UWA'a.

The 5.5mm plossyl is the little jewl in the crown. The 5.5mm sometimes gives a better view than the 4.7mm UWA, simply because it has less lenses inside and affords better contrast.

Hope this helps:icon_salut:

Yes, I know what you mean. They have mixed reviews on cloudy nights as a series - now appear to be replaced by the 60HD - but again not much on these either.

The problem is that the 4000 meade made in Japan were fine lens, and the newer Chinese versions plossl and wides are a very mixed bag!

I was very lucky with all Meade eyepieces as I had the advantage of being able to look through all of the available stock at my retailer and pick the best one each time. All my Plossyls and UWA's are about the best to look through of all the ones I tried, but eye-relief aside, the little 5.5mm has afforded some really nice high powered views....I use it often in a 3'' and 4'' APO. It's a lovely little eyepiece.

I have 2 of these which I use for lunar and planetary in my binoviewers. They are excellent eyepieces with good clear optics and a full sharp image across the fov unlike TMB planetaries of which I have 2 pairs.

Philj

Archived