anyone successfully culminated skymaster 15X70's??

Collimation of Bins is a pretty difficult task as not only does the collimation of one optical path But there is also the relationship between both optical paths.

Without a test rig to check, any adjustments are going to be trial and error at best :BangHead:

How bad are they? I have a pair of 8x25 which are a touch out but would not risk trying it myself as they are an expensive set.

Saying that though you celestron bins are not terribly expensive so you don't have a lot to lose ;)

Celestron build these bins so cheaply that they can be taken as nearly disposable. Not like more expensive ones which are more rugged.

Not sure what Celestrons customer service is like but the more premium binocular manufacturers will accept returns for recollimation usually at a reasonable price.

I realy would like a pair of 15x70 bins but these kind of stories put me off the celestron/revelation ones

i cnt focus on anything and i can feel my eyes straining (just did a test of a farm directly oppersite few miles away) and it wasnt as clear as it used to be i have used it for sky quite resently and the stars were just a blur

it is a good point on the "cheapness" i bought them when FLO had the sale last year

the right eye does seem to get to focus if i close the left but the dioptic dosent seem to want to cancel out, i did keep them in the car for a short while (and lost them for a 3 months when my car got knicked (police had impounded it as the theft was very suspisious (only stole windscreen)) so it is entiraly my fault but i dont want to throw them away

Yeah sounds like a optical problem as oppsed to a mechanical problem with the focus mechanism.

It might be worth removing the prism covers and having a look to see if anything looks like its moved.

I am not familiar with these particular ones but usually when you take the covers off the prisms are held in place by a metal bar on the top of the prism to provide tension with glue/gunck holding the prism in place around the edge where it attaches to the binocular frame.

What might have occured is that one of the prisms has moved slightly due to a mechanical shock.

With any luck the glue marks should indicate roughly where the original prism position is.

However this is a very much last resort as you could make things worse. :BangHead:

But hey if they are unusable at present then not a lot to lose.

Archived