Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shutter Vibration

Shibby

A quick question... How important is it to avoid shutter vibration using a delay? My camera is a 450d, the mount and focuser on the 150PDS seem quite stable. The reason I ask, is that I'd need to purchase a DSUSB cable to use the anti-vibration pause properly with APT and I don't know whether it will make any noticeable difference.

PS: I'm talking about imaging DSOs, I guess it's more important with brighter targets and shorter exposures.

PS: I'm talking about imaging DSOs, I guess it's more important with brighter targets and shorter exposures.

I never use the shutter up for deep sky imaging as most of the objects (unless a very bright star is in the field of view) will record in that time and hence won't show the problem. I do use it for bright planets, Moon and the Sun though as these do blur from the movement of the camera.

Dave

My camera has a 1 second delay and I use it for DSO imaging. I'm not sure it's really necessary though. Bluring for a fraction of a second can't be that significant on a two or three minute exposure. But, the feature is on my camera, so I use it.

Cheers,

Tom.

I don't worry about it for long exposure photos, I guess it's just blurry for a very tiny bit of the exposure. No harm doing it though, I mainly don't on DSO's because I record to PC and the Canon Utility software doesn't seem to support it. i.e. I would do it anyway if it was no hassle.

For the moon I found the shutter was causing a fair bit of blur so now I always use a shutter release on the moon.

Lewis,

The answer of your question depends on what is the vibration from the shutter in your setup. Some setups are on the limits and vibrate more, other doesn't at all. Also keep in mind that the effect is visible for the bright objects, faint stars will not be affected.

You can make a simple test to evaluate the influence of the vibration. Take a normal image, then put something in front of the scope, start the exposure wait 5-6s and remove the cover. Make sure that you don't touch the scope :BangHead:

Archived