SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trailer observatory - ideas needed!!

Chris Stacey

I acquired an 18ft trailer recently, which I want to use as a mobile obs. The trailer itself is single axle, and seperates in half with 8 bolts, into two 9x6 sections - this is perfect for what I want to do for several reasons.

Firstly it separates the scope from the warm room (for obvious reasons), secondly I can move the scope section anywhere in the garden without needing to move the whole lot. Lastly, where I live I have quite a few steps from the road to my garden, so if I want to move, or take the trailer to a star party etc I can (with the help of a friend) carry the base of each section up to the road, reconnect it as one trailer with the 8 bolts, and off I go...

The computers and accessories I use for the scope are all housed in flight cases, that's how I use them now, and will continue to use them that way, so there is no need for permanent computers etc in the warm room.....it'll be more of a room for just laying the flight cases out,and keeping me warm and dry....

Now here's what I need some ideas for - I don't want to put big heavy walls up, big chunky metal frames etc....that make it impossible to move as dismantling that will make it not worth trying....security isn't an issue really due to where I live, but wind and water proof is obviously needed.....so i'm looking for ideas on some kind of easy to assemble frame and panelling, or large but lightweight plastic moulded building (that could be just screwed down on the trailer), that will be sturdy but easy to take off when I occasionally want to move it.....I wondered if anyone has done something similar or what ideas people might have??

:BangHead:

Unfortunately it's not mine - belongs to a chap who comes regularly to Kelling equinox's - it's allways a talking point. Complete observatory inside (computers and bits) and his pier extends out through the floor where he fits the legs. Gotta wacking great big Meade Sct in the dome.

Quite funny watching him reverse it into place using a compass as he polar aligns the caravan lol (well he parks facing South at least hehe) :BangHead:

I've thought about doing this to my own caravan but supportive though my wife Jane most certainly is, this could be a move too far - it would be so cool though!

Hmm, thinks ....... cheap second hand caravan for this purpose only ......

I must admit a caravan was a tempting idea at first - but i'm 36, and have my reputation to consider, so I just can't bring myself to be seen towing a caravan just yet ;):BangHead: ....so a sleek modern looking trailer design is my weapon of choice!

I'll stick some pics up soon of what i've got, how it will work and what I want to do...hopefully that'll give people a few ideas for some suggestions on what to do next...

Need 4 trailer jacks...just looked up the ones I need, that's about 150 quid gone immediately....I have a feeling this will eat up a few quid before i've finished...

I must admit a caravan was a tempting idea at first - but i'm 36, and have my reputation to consider, so I just can't bring myself to be seen towing a caravan just yet ;):BangHead: .

Stereotyping is a dangerous thing - I tow a caravan (have for years) BUT my daily drive is a 300BHP Impreza, my weekend drive is a Westfield SpeedSport and I shall be track daying my son's Radical at Brands Hatch next Wednesday - that tow bar will come in handy for getting the Radical to the circuit if nothing else.

Look past the caravan, its just a way of having flexible holidays .....

Stereotyping is a dangerous thing - I tow a caravan (have for years) BUT my daily drive is a 300BHP Impreza, my weekend drive is a Westfield SpeedSport and I shall be track daying my son's Radical at Brands Hatch next Wednesday - that tow bar will come in handy for getting the Radical to the circuit if nothing else.

Look past the caravan, its just a way of having flexible holidays .....

I'm only playing steve, my main issue is described in the OP, i.e getting down the stairs to my garden, hence a 2 piece trailer, far more practical for me...

Nice cars btw, particularly the Impreza....I had a project going last year to do a track car, a ZS 180 (I do like them, good fun to drive).....still sitting in the garage though at the moment, in bits....

I'm only playing steve, my main issue is described in the OP,
Don't worry, that's how I took it - I just like to brag about about my high speed collection even though I past my first flush of youth :BangHead:

The two part trailer is a new on on me, I must say.

Archived