Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount Megantic Observatory

BellatrixC4

Hello there :( I'm not too sure if I am posting this in the correct area of the forum, but I'll post here anyways. Correct me if I should move it elsewhere. ^^''

So, this weekend was a very special weekend for me! As I've mentioned before in my "introduction thread" I'm pretty new to owning such a big telescope. I only used to work with a small, cheap, department store thing. Until recently, having an 8 inch Dob now :BangHead:

Anyways, I live right beside Ottawa and while it's possible for me to find nice spots to do my exploring, I still get massive light pollution at a low Elevation. I still get to see whatever I want, But I gotta wait till the sky rotates for the things I'd like to observe. Therefore, I end up staying up til crazy hours haha (Well even on lightly polluted skies I end up staying late, I can never feel the time go by when I sit back and enjoy the view.)

So this weekend, I decided I should leave. Go explore. (another one of my hobbies is driving. I love to drive far off distances just to explore.) So, looking at my road atlas, I saw this place called Mount Megantic. I had heard about it before, because Canada's most performant observatory is located there. I decided that it would be a perfect location for me! So, I didn't get to look through their telescope that night, because the techs were all gone. I'll go back soon though hehe. ^^

So I thought I'd share some pics with you guys!

Here's me with the observatory ;)

283473_10150260294518959_517063958_7423458_5217335_n.jpg

More to come. I can't get the stupid other things to get through >///<

Hello Bellatrix, (I assume you are the attractive young lady in the centre of the photo rather than the guy to the left :BangHead:). What scope do they have in the observatory?. I look forward to your forthcoming photos.

In 2007 the IDA (International Dark Sky Association) recognized the Mont Megantic Park as the world's first dark sky reserve.

That's right!! and seeing the sky over there, is like nothing else I've ever seen before. it was truly breath taking!!

And to answer your question Peter (I'm quite flattered) Yes that would be me in the center :)

Here are some more pictures!!

This is the back end of the telescope itself, mirror is 1,6 m of diameter and has a hyperbolic shape to it. They use a HUGE equatorial mount with it :eek:

285474_10150260293003959_517063958_7423433_5041270_n.jpg

I forgot what they call this, but this is under the telescope, and because the mirror is so heavy ( like 4 tons, I think it was?) They need this to help them take it out. IN the inside they put chemicals and stuff to strip the coating of aluminum in order to service the new mirror. You guys probably know it already XD haha

285474_10150260293043959_517063958_7423435_5439188_n.jpg

Now, for some more scenic pictures :)

Here is the bottom of the mountain

283473_10150260294623959_517063958_7423462_2163155_n.jpg

Top of the mount Megantic

283473_10150260294593959_517063958_7423461_5202386_n.jpg

So that's all folks :)

Never again will I moan about having to many wires! :)

Lovely pics, Bellatrix, stunning scenery!

Yeah seriously :eek:

They actually use this telescope primarily to test out new technologies for observing the skies. A lot of university students from around the world go there apparently. So yes, a lot of wires are present. But that's only the back of the telescope lol. A lot of the camera stuff for the CCD is visible as well, it gets so hot that they need to cool it off with compressed 03.

And yes, the scenery was very breathtaking, the air, was so pure and easy to breathe compared to the city air

"Hello Bellatrix, I assume you are the attractive young lady in the centre of the photo"

You smoothy Peter lol :)

@Bellatrix - looks like a smashing trip you had there - beautifull views, clear skies, clean air, big telescope - what more could a girl want lol. Thanks for sharing :eek:

Archived