SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from cloudy Nottingham

appalachik

Hi,

I've been keen on astronomy for as long as I can remember... bought my first telescope aged 10 from an antique shop in Barnstaple in 1970. Apollo 11 had a lot to do with my interest, along with the Sky at Night, of course. I remember the scope cost £7.00, including a leather case and it is a brass army model (I still have it).

At 16, my dad was pestered into buying me some Japanese 7X50s for my birthday that were the mainstay of my stargazing for ages, until wear and tear took their toll. In the meantime, I'd got into radio astronomy and had taken to making all kinds of home-brewed astro-gadgets to listen in on the universe.

Last year, I bought myself a Canon Rebel T1 for doing some astrophotography with and now I'm wanting to get back to using my own eyes. Some nice 15x70's are on the shopping list and I plan to make my own folding Dob, with around 12-14 inches of the fastest mirror I can make and a nice wide field eyepiece to go with it.

Hopefully I'll find useful info here and in turn be able to contribute with some of the stuff I've picked up over the years.

Jenna

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jenna and welcome to SGL :BangHead:

Building a folding dob sounds like a fun project. We have a DIY section where I'm sure you'll pick up loads of tips, as well as a Dob Users section. Good luck with the build and enjoy the forum ;)

Hi and welcome to the lounge. You'll have to post details of you gadgets I am intrigued to know what they are. When is this damn cloud gunna go, I've an astro camping trip planned for the weekend. Any hoo.

Dark skies

Archived