max weight on a EQ3-2

I use mine with the legs fully retracted with a 150P plus Canon 1000D with a couple of add-ons like a Rigel and a dew shield. Tips the scales at a smidge under 7kg. I can get 2 min unguided subs on a good night with no wind but the slightest breeze and it's all over. I really think that is the max and a smaller lighter scope would be much better on this mount. Widefield imaging with just a DSLR and a timer remote on a short dovetail bar with a pan-tilt head screwed to it is just right.

I find it no problem at all for visual use with the 150P or a Skymax 127. The long Phenix refractor I use on this mount is okay with the legs retracted, but you have to sit on the floor to look through the eyepiece. If you extend the legs it gets a bit wobbly. I find it okay, just, but if I had a beefier mount available I would use that instead with this scope.

I put the mount head on an EQ5 tripod as an experiment and it made no difference to me at all. Felt the same, tracked the same had the same problem with cross-winds. I actually swapped back to the aluminium tripod because I like the colour better and I have some velcro pads on the legs to stick the hand control onto.

Had this loading list from somewhere.

These are them maximum limits and Optical Vision recommend the mounts actually carry less than the specified weights for optimal usage.

EQ3 = 5Kg

EQ5 = 9Kg

HEQ5 = 18Kg

EQ6 = 25Kg

NEQ6 = 25Kg

Usually imaging is half of the max.

Archived