740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Has anybody named a Star?

twin-kle1007

Hi all,

I'm thinking of naming a Star for my baby Son, Daniel who died 7 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and whether they could recommend a company or advise to avoid certain places.

There seems to be loads of companies that do it. I know that the naming service offered by these companies isn't officially recognized but it's still kind of nice for the family to associate a certain star with him.

Kind regards,

Paul ! :)

Sorry to hear about your son, Paul.

Instead of paying a company which makes money from people in emotional situations such as yourselves, why not just pick your own star, one that is easily seen with the naked eye and a non-astronomer could be shown very easily.

That way, you could point out the stars to Daniels brothers and sister some day and if they can find the star themselves, they will always have something to remind them of Daniel.

Bill

Sorry to hear your news. I do know people who have paid to have a star named in memory of a loved one and have been very disappointed with the results. They got a certificate and a star chart showing the location of the named star. The star itself is so faint you could not see it unless you had a very large telescope.

Thanks for the messages guys. I think that identifying our own star is a good idea. It will be much easier for everyone to find in the night sky and much easier to show his twin sis when she's old enough. The priniting idea sound nice too, makes it personal.

Thanks again for the advice.:)

My thoughs are with you and your family ,

there is a list of the meanings of the arabic names of stars on wikipedia , what if you find one that means somthing to you or lets you remember your son ,take that one as his star in heaven .. denebola means tail of the lion , and daniel as you know spent the night in the lions den ,walked out the next day because he was innocent .

kindest thought and regards ,paul and stacey and baby rhanna .

An afterthought; when you have chosen your star please PM me, if you'd like to, and I will try to capture it in a nice image for you and your family.

Best wishes,

Olly

Wow, that's an offer you can't refuse Paul, I'd jump on that one right now if I was you :)

Very sorry to hear of your tragic loss, Paul: it takes me right back to an awful day, back in 1985, when my nephew passed away aged only 4 months (SIDS).

I would go along with the other advice here, don't go to one of those commercial name-a-star outfits: they simply take your money and offer nothing. And they don't really target their wares at the bereaved: they're more interested in the birthday-present or impulse-buying market.

I once, several years ago, agreed to image a star for someone I knew who had fallen for a name-a-star business. What they got was pathetic: an obscure catalogue reference to a 14th-magnitude star (you'd need at least a 10" Dob just to see it I think) which I had considerable difficulty cross-referencing to a TYCO or GSC reference on Cartes du Ciel. Eventually I pinned it down and imaged it: an insignificant white dot on a field of very similar insignificant white dots (obviously I had to 'shop' in a pair of arrows to indicate which star it was!). At least that exercise was only for someone's birthday.

There are plenty of stars down to about sixth magnitude, therefore visible to naked-eye in dark skies, which only have a Flamsteed number rather than a proper name. You could pick any one out of thousands in that range. And Olly could I'm sure do you a splendid image, in full colour, with the star dominating the centre of the field.

An afterthought; when you have chosen your star please PM me, if you'd like to, and I will try to capture it in a nice image for you and your family.

Best wishes,

Olly

wow, this offer genuinely made me well up a little.

I cannot imagine how you and your family are feeling Paul, and hope that you can eventually remember fondly any time you had with your son, Daniel.

try to choose a star that is in a circumpolar constellation as then it will always be viewable all year round. Exploring the Northern Hemisphere Constellations

Sorry about your loss Paul, to a degree I know what you are going through as 6 years ago I lost my fiancee to cancer and it was a terrible time for me. However take things a day at a time remember the time you had together- it does help get you through the 'dark' times. Things will get better with time. Great idea about a star, pick the brightest one out there.

Derek

I also thought about doing this for my 2 year old boy Leo , who died this March, but decided that as he has a whole constellation I didn't really need to.

I agree with the others - just pick a star and call it his. Also, if you pick one in the North then it will be visible all year round.

I wish you strength and I am sending you big hugs from all of us here in Sompting.

i am so sorry at the loss of your child. please dont pay anyone for a star as you cannot own it., the advice given above is fantastic, if i were to advise you i would choose sirius the dog star, the brightest in the sky and so easily located, again so sorry to read of your loss

peter.

Thank you all for the advice and kind words. Definately not going with the 'name a star' companies. I'm really sorry for those of you that have also lost people close to you, I've learnt there are no words to describe the pain.

We have chosen to remember Daniel by using the great star 'Arcturus' in the Bootes constellation. I was sitting by his grave a couple of weeks ago and the sky was filled with clouds. I asked him if he could show me the stars and a couple of minutes later the cloud started to break and the very 1st star to appear was Arcturus. I didn't know which one it was at the time but managed to identify it using a sky map. A pm is on it's way to Olly for his kind offer, lets hope he can get a good shot, i'm not sure how easy it is to image Arcturus.

Astropete, I was thinking about going for Sirius as it's a binary star system and Daniel was a twin, good suggestion.

Many thanks to all,

Paul !:)

So sorry to hear about your loss Paul I cannot even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through it makes me realise how lucky I am to have two beautiful daughters one who's going to make me a grandfather early next year my heart go's out to you and your family and when I look up and see Arcturus I will think of your sad loss

Robbie c

So sorry to hear of your loss Paul , as a Father I cannot even begin to imagine what you and your family must be going through. My deepest condolences go out to you all.

Vlebo

sorry to hear that paul i too have just lost a someone close to me but could never imagine losing a son. when im out under the stars ive picked a star and i say hello to it every time before i start (bit cheesy but makes me smile) my thoughts are with you