Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperion or Nagler

reddoss

Is the image quality that much better through a Nagler than say a Badder Hyperion? Discuss!

I bought a 8 mm Hyperion at the SGL6 jumble sale and am amazed at it's quality (for the price) when I compare it to my Televue.

As the saying goes you get what you pay for. I personally think the question that has to be asked is what works for you not so much which EP offers the improvement. What I mean is unless you have a bottomless pocket you will always ask is this EP better than the next. If you are happy with the Hyperions then you should stick with them and enjoy the views. Yes a Nagler should offer subtle improvements but that comes at a cost. Yes ethos should offer improvements again and so on. Hyperions are not the cheapest EP on the market and they have there limitations and but they are a lot better than some offerings out there.

SPACEBOY

Agree with Spaceboy. Unless you have a stack of cash burning a hole, there's no reason to replace the Hyperion as you are enjoying the views.

I have the 31mm Hyperion which i use in the same scope and it does give great views. It's not sharp edge to edge, like i've seen in a 31mm Nagler but it's not objectionable. I'm happy too, especially as the Nagler cost an extra £300.

The Hyperion has some other advantages over the Nagler. The Hyperion is not over sized or over weight, so doesn't cause any problems balancing the dob. Plus it has plenty of eye relief for eye glasses, no kidney bean issues and is just really comfortable to use.

But if i won the lottery i would buy a 31mm Nagler in a heart beat. :)

I have only recently upgraded from Hyperion's to a couple of Televue ep's. I would agree with above in that the differences are very subtle but are there. Whether or not they are worth double the money is debatable and i suppose down to the individual and how much they desire that little extra percentage of performance. I really rate the Hyperion's and the 8mm you mention is a real cracker. I often use is combined with the tuning rings instead of the orthos for planets and doubles.

The Hyperions have the dimension of versatility. Extension tubes etc. You can expose(!), that useful thread, for eyepiece projection etc. They have a pleasant "quirkiness"? I suspect, if I could afford it, I'd replace either my Hype 24 or Aspheric 31, with a Pan35 though. :)

Archived