Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing NGC 7000 the north America nebula

adam88

Evening all,

Having bagged ngc 7000 for the first time last night through my zs66 sd I wondered what equipment or techniques people seem to find helps with this?

Last night a I used a 22mm panoptic and lumicon UHC filter and it gave me a good view, got it all in the tfov and I found the Mexican peninsula to especially stand out.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear your tales of observing this great summer object and the equipment used.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam, when out the other night I was looking at one or two nebulae although not NGC 7000, using my cpc 925 and a 24mm Panoptic+ Baader OIII filter I did have some great views of M57 and M27. Avered vision semed to enhance the view of the Ring especially.

Will have a check on the North American next chance I get out.

Glad you had a decent view of it :)l

My best views have been with binoculars: first time I saw it was with 10x50 in Scotland, best view was with 15x70 in Greece. Because I was seeing it "upside down" it reminded me more of a squashed Britain rather than America, with the detached portion resembling Ireland.

My best views have been with binoculars: first time I saw it was with 10x50 in Scotland, best view was with 15x70 in Greece. Because I was seeing it "upside down" it reminded me more of a squashed Britain rather than America, with the detached portion resembling Ireland.

Im going to get to some dark skies up on Dartmoor over the summer.

Do you not need any filters on the bins? How bright was it in your 10x50?

Evening all,

Last night a I used a 22mm panoptic and lumicon UHC filter and it gave me a good view, got it all in the tfov and I found the Mexican peninsula to especially stand out.

Cheers

Adam

I am still waiting for the skies to clear sufficiently to test out my 24mm Panoptic and Lumicon UHC filter bought last week specifically for viewing NGC7000 with my ED80. :D

I am still waiting for the skies to clear sufficiently to test out my 24mm Panoptic and Lumicon UHC filter bought last week specifically for viewing NGC7000 with my ED80. :D

Sounds like the perfect combo to me. Good luck.:p

I've seen it through bins and parts of it through my 16" but Big scopes don't show it well at all.

Regards Steve

Sounds like the perfect combo to me. Good luck.:D

I've seen it through bins and parts of it through my 16" but Big scopes don't show it well at all.

Regards Steve

Thanks Steve, glad I made the right choice, was concerned the UHC filter might be a bit too much for a small scope. :p

Seen it through a 17.5" dob and a 31mm Nagler, well part of it anyway. Uts easy peasy from Kielder!

Wp

I am off to the west coast of Ireland in September out in the sticks so cant wait to take my ED80 along with me :D

I am hoping for better skies than I got up in Galloway :p

Im going to get to some dark skies up on Dartmoor over the summer.

Do you not need any filters on the bins? How bright was it in your 10x50?

No filter needed. It's very big and I believe some people have reported seeing it with the naked eye. The large size makes it best suited to small apertures. With a larger scope it's more a case of following the "coastline".

Interesting responses, I had my best view last summer from the new forest with a 66 sd and it seems smaller aperture may be best owing to it's low surface brightness.

MjrTom I'm sure the combination your taking to ireland will give you a great view!

Olly you should use your zs66 and put a eyepiece in which gives you at least a 2 degree tfov and a UHC filter and you can't miss it! It is only a subtle hazy brightening but I find the coast and peninsula to appear most obvious! I'll try a sketch next time I'm out I think!

Cheers

Adam

Interesting how some of these objects are more elusive than others.

its no surprise that dark skies are important in helping to observe them.

I may have been in the right area but seeing them has been difficult due to the sky conditions

Does an OIII help with the North America like it does with the veil?

I have been using this website for info on what filter is best for what target The Prairie Astronomer

Their findings were that the OIII filters were less effective on NGC7000 than the UHC filters.

Not the massive differences you see with the Veil nebula for instance.

From my experience a UHC filter is for this object and I've found small aperture still gives great results! I can see the veil nebula from my suburban backgarden with a 66mm scope and UHC filter! I think for both these objects good transparency is essential to get the best results!

Interesting responses, I had my best view last summer from the new forest with a 66 sd and it seems smaller aperture may be best owing to it's low surface brightness.

MjrTom I'm sure the combination your taking to ireland will give you a great view!

Olly you should use your zs66 and put a eyepiece in which gives you at least a 2 degree tfov and a UHC filter and you can't miss it! It is only a subtle hazy brightening but I find the coast and peninsula to appear most obvious! I'll try a sketch next time I'm out I think!

Cheers

Adam

Cheers Adam, I have a Pronto which is rather better and much more than 2 degrees so I really must try again! It has been driving me mildly nuts for years...

Olly

Archived