Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Heliocentric

Odd Moon Phenomenon...tell me what it is!

You've taken two sentences from two different contexts and put them together in order to point out an contradiction that isn't there Glen.

One sentence aims to establish that the objects are not all on a horizontal trajectory,

The other that if just one of the objects took off in a different direction alltogether, such as let's say 180º, it would be easier to see them as birds.

I thought it was obvious, sorry if it wasn't.

Helio, sorry if i offended you, i was thinking more along the lines that the "objects" are moving. I should of made that clear. With all respect I'd like to offer my opinion/ hypothesis of what's going on.

Firstly, as has been said, many people look at the moon, and for it not to be mentioned by one other (let alone more people), For now I think we can slim it down to personal experience of the operator.

Secondly I think we can all agree on there is "something" in-between the moon and the detector/ccd or CMOS. Agreed that on the optical surfaces of the scope, dust and water particles would not show (would be so far out of focus) so that rules that out.. as for satelites in any orbit (bar the Iss) you have to be at crazy mag just to get a glimmer of one, what i'm trying to say the "objects" have dimentions that are resovable and not a point.

Putting aside objects the size of a small hamlet near the moon.. Using Occam's Razor, I'd say that they person cleaned the ccd/cmos chip ~not using a blower but by actually blowing to remove dust, when doing so spittle ended up on the chip.

If you get something very close to a ccd/coms chip it will become in focus.**

Using the magnifying program in Windows(Start/Programs/Accessories/Ease of access/magnifier), looking on the right panel of the vid*** you will see the "objects" are round in appearance , also note that they start to become illuminated from the right side then become fully illuminated until the same tone of the background ~ in this case the moon. Doing so they act like or have the same proprieties as a lens.

Again sorry for the confusion, i can tell you are passionate about this subject and really hope you come to a conclusion of what it is.:BangHead:

All the best

Glen

**Not actually focus as such, just it's so close that each individual ccd pixel bin registers the shape and colour above it, giving the effect of focus.

***Very misleading, it gives the illusion that the "objects" are moving, and not the moon.

Edited by Glen

No offense taken Glen.

Thanks for the in depth explanation of your theory. I must say it is increasingly convincing, especially due to the lack of other convincing theories.

I agree that the speed of the objects seems consistent with the camera movement, although I'm still on the fence whether all objects move horizontally (that is with the camera). It seems not, but I cannot say for sure.

Nothing would be more convincing than footage showing similar effects that you describe.

Occam's Razor works fine in simple situations. But how would you apply it to Spooky Action At A Distance, or Dark Force? The Universe is a strange, surreal place, and we don't yet understand a fraction of it. Which is why I keep an open mind as I look up at the stars...

Occam's Razor works fine in simple situations.

Sometimes.

I think it's worth remembering that Occam's Razor is (and was stated as such by the good William of Ockham) a rule of ontological economy, not a fundamental law of the universe.

Nice one Helio. I should point out that my train of thought with what's going on, it would have to be shot with a DSLR cam and video capability with zoom lens or modified web cam and scope. That's my guess..

If it was filmed with a closed cam (can't get to the imaging chip) it blows this theory out of the water..

Also, i think your still hung up on the idea that the "objects" are moving.

ALL the movement that's seen in the film (bar the end when the cam is switched off) is due to Earth rotation, i think (but could be wrong) it was taken on a tripod, due to the fact the drift speed matches.**

Indeed it would be good to test, i've got a few old web cams. I'll have a look and see.:BangHead:

As for what we know about the Universe, that fraction you mention is mighty small ;)

Glen

**Not measured it, but you get this effect when zoomed in, just ask a bob owner or someone without a motorised mount;)

Edited by Glen

Still... Even if this turns out to be an optical effect (and I can accept that if anyone can explain it more clearly) I'm still even more baffled by all the footage and pics of similar strange anomalies in space I came across while looking for things similar to this one.

ive tok and have on disks 100s of hours of video of the moon never seen this i will not try to say what it is but why would "they"have ball shapped craft lol aliens some one is good with editing software a should imagine 20 mins with the same footage i could nake those look like star cruisers of star wars no probsbut still a great bit of footage of the moons some times the moon boils and it looks like in some craters theres a flashing light but its not

clear skies

and heres a free headache if ya want it

pat

ive tok and have on disks 100s of hours of video of the moon never seen this i will not try to say what it is but why would "they"have ball shapped craft lol aliens some one is good with editing software a should imagine 20 mins with the same footage i could nake those look like star cruisers of star wars no probsbut still a great bit of footage of the moons some times the moon boils and it looks like in some craters theres a flashing light but its not

clear skies

and heres a free headache if ya want it

pat

Er... no offence intended, but a little punctuation would help in understanding your post.

Still... Even if this turns out to be an optical effect (and I can accept that if anyone can explain it more clearly) I'm still even more baffled by all the footage and pics of similar strange anomalies in space I came across while looking for things similar to this one.

Apologies if I wasn't clear, let me know what you can't grasp or understand and i'll try my best to explain further.

While we are at it, why not post a link (better still start a new thread) to the one that's most uncomprehensible to you? we can all see what you are talking about :(

@todd8137

hmmmm ....Adobe After effects any chance? :(

All the best

Glenda..its wednesday...:);) joke btw :BangHead:

Anyway check out the wiki on TLP

Transient lunar phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by Glen

Apologies if I wasn't clear, let me know what you can't grasp or understand and i'll try my best to explain further.

While we are at it, why not post a link (better still start a new thread) to the one that's most uncomprehensible to you? we can all see what you are talking about :(

@todd8137

hmmmm ....Adobe After effects any chance? :)

All the best

Glenda..its wednesday...;);) joke btw :BangHead:

Anyway check out the wiki on TLP

Transient lunar phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other people seem to understand the explanation so it's more likely to be my skim reading as I'm always limited for time on here. I have posted a link or two in this thread about some of the things I found. However YouTube is full of many more. Some are probably reflections some are probably a hoax and some are a bit bonkers but some have been officially classified as 'unknown') but When I have time I will try and post some and perhaps read through this thread again :(

Richard

Ps I seem to also remember a recent episode of the sky at night, where patrick was shown similar videos with the explanation given to Patrick was 'impacts' but he didn't buy it.

Indeed, I'll be the fist to admit there's unexplainable stuff going on above..seen it got the t-shirt as they say, but we are de-railing from the original post. See thats the good thing about forums, talk about IT.

As The Big Yin would say "keep it in our own half, pass a bit,.. mabey when you feel up to it, kick it into that netted area down the other end"

or summin like that..:BangHead:

Debate is good, & all the more with an active imagination. ;)

Edited by Glen

;) Ok.. this threads picked up some interest so, I would really like to know what this is.. if it can be re-created. It does seem that so many "eyes" are constantly looking at the skies these days that this "if it were a real phenomena" would surely have been observed/captured before.

Look, (and take this with a pinch of salt) I'll admit as a teenager I read "Chariots of the Gods and "Our Spaceship Moon" etc. (I think I still have them in the loft!). However the older I get the more sceptical (and down to earth) I become. Ok, at one time I "wanted to believe" but you know what...... I want Scientific Explanation. First off, lets exhaust the analysis by means we understand... then we can discuss hypothetical possibilities. After that.. well if you're on this forum you must have grasped the sheer size of the .. what 4% or less of what we can actually see out there.. I'm with Mr Hawking on this one.. I really don't think we should be advertising our presence :BangHead:

So please, somebody bring this back down to Earth and lets have a good to honest scientific (therefore repeatable please) explanation for this phenomena. :(

:( Ok.. this threads picked up some interest so, I would really like to know what this is.. if it can be re-created. It does seem that so many "eyes" are constantly looking at the skies these days that this "if it were a real phenomena" would surely have been observed/captured before.

Haha. indeed, just means "blowing a raspberry" into a cam..ok that's un scientific route.. maybe dipping a stand of hair in distilled water, then putting it on the ccd (got to be small), and evaporation will/might take care of bricking the cam..;):BangHead: worth a go :(

Haha. indeed, just means "blowing a raspberry" into a cam..ok that's un scientific route.. maybe dipping a stand of hair in distilled water, then putting it on the ccd (got to be small), and evaporation will/might take care of bricking the cam..;):BangHead: worth a go :(

ok.. so if that were the case.. then (and bare with me on this..) those droplets would reflect/magnify what?.. the image/light coming in from the lens/mirror? (my earlier post in this thread remarked on the similarity to minuscule replicas of the main image.. the Moon?) .. hmmm wouldn't the light refract through them onto the sensor? tho?

I'm much better with some examples.. visual preferred.. apparently I'm more of the artistic temperament than scientific (as much as I try :)) although I'm quite good with technology.. (well I've bluffed my way through it for the past 35 years or so.. :()

(well I've bluffed my way through it for the past 35 years or so.. :BangHead:)

Ain't most of us..;)

But my guessing/hypo-(can't be ..ahem... bothered to spell it), the image just before the chip, is nearly in focus, and the "spittle" in this case refracts light to other ccd

bins..

a wee bit on refraction if i may.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/refr.html

Edited by Glen

It's interesting, because this has me just as intrigued to know how to re-create as being able to produce images of DSO's as well as the "Stars of the imaging world" on here. ;)

So, if the light is being "reflected" off the Moon and then that same light is being "refracted" through moisture on or near the sensor then the side of the "beads of moisture/anomaly's" facing the sensor appears dark.. Does that make sense? :BangHead:

It's interesting, because this has me just as intrigued to know how to re-create as being able to produce images of DSO's as well as the "Stars of the imaging world" on here. :(

So, if the light is being "reflected" off the Moon and then that same light is being "refracted" through moisture on or near the sensor then the side of the "beads of moisture/anomaly's" facing the sensor appears dark.. Does that make sense? :BangHead:

Perfectly :( I should of add/amended the thought.

O.K. this is the best i can describe it... When the "objects" are seen on the vid, think of them looking left and relaying what they see to you.(because the Moon is comming towards "them")

then straight ahead , then to the right.

When they are the same tone of the Moon, they are "invisible"

Hope this helps , loosing the will to live.;)

Glen

You can see what could be stars or graphic artifacts momentarily appearing further out from the edge.

I think the ojects are far to large to be anything manmade and Can't see it being anything celestial. Not sure how you can see any type of orbit by these objects.

The owner of the footage admits that it's the first time he's used the cam so I'm guessing it has something to do with the setup and maybe even the time of day as the sky looks pretty blue.

I thing we can safely say it's not ET peeking out from behind the moon though :BangHead:

Perfectly :( I should of add/amended the thought.

O.K. this is the best i can describe it... When the "objects" are seen on the vid, think of them looking left and relaying what they see to you.(because the Moon is comming towards "them")

then straight ahead , then to the right.

When they are the same tone of the Moon, they are "invisible"

Hope this helps , loosing the will to live.;)

Glen

Aha. of course... now I can visualise this, it makes perfect sense... thanks for sticking to it Glen.. It finally clicked,, :(:BangHead:

Interesting thread :BangHead:

At the end of watching the link this clip came up

I am by no means trying to discredit any personal theory or opinions but it does show on a somewhat larger scale the deceptions and trickery of glare on camera lenses.

(Or maybe the moon is only at six thousand feet ;))

Interesting thread :BangHead:

At the end of watching the link this clip came up

I am by no means trying to discredit any personal theory or opinions but it does show on a somewhat larger scale the deceptions and trickery of glare on camera lenses.

(Or maybe the moon is only at six thousand feet ;))

Nice! You can also get some pretty crazy effects with an iPhone camera too

Aha. of course... now I can visualise this, it makes perfect sense... thanks for sticking to it Glen.. It finally clicked,, :(:BangHead:

Hey, no problem fella, it just seems so clear to me what's going on but also i find things hard to explain, hence the slight frustration..;)

Really need to know what cam was used first, in the meantime (when i have a bit to spare), i'll look into the testing.

Still, with what we've got to go on ..we can start to deduce.

Edited by Glen

Nice! You can also get some pretty crazy effects with an iPhone camera too

You sure can, see attached piccy :BangHead:

David

post-26589-133877637048_thumb.jpg

Its aliens of course! The invasion has begun!

:):icon_cyclops:

Edited by Meademan

I just watched the video on a large screen, and it is my opinion that there is another object on the lower right side of the Moon at 0:47.

You'll have to watch the smaller picture on the left to see it. Could someone confirm?

Yeah i spotted that to! i inlarged it to see it well spotted defently