SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Televue Subscriber

Damo636

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the reminder Steve :p

Yes the 35mm Panoptic with the 10 inch f/4 would be a far too large exit pupil at 8.8mm. In the case of this scope I will probably stick with the 24mm Panoptic which is a nice 6mm exit pupil. :)

I might pick up a slightly slower newtonian, although cant be a lot slower otherwise the Nagler zoom becomes a bit redundant.

Not made any firm decisions yet. Will decide closer towards autumn time. :D

lovely eyepieces from the OP - I have owned all but the 13mm Nagler - I have a 13mm Ethos.

I also agree re the 35mm Panoptic - superb but the exit pupil is too large in my bigger scope.

Re the Nagler zoom, I often use this for double stars in my 1600mm focal length 6" newt so it's certainly useful and my fave double star eyepiece (unless they are a wide pair).

To be honest, I will get a Nagler, just one little one, eventually. When I finish writing my novel (I'm at 48,000 words, about 40-50% done), I will reward myself a Nagler in the 17mm range. But there is too much other stuff to buy first!

I am NEVER going to look through a Televue - I can't afford it!

Well, maybe...

Your scope would be more than happy with TV plossl's and the views will be greatly improved with out breaking the bank. S/H I have seen them for £50 but even new they are hardly going to have your kids out of an inheritance :D

Your scope would be more than happy with TV plossl's and the views will be greatly improved with out breaking the bank. S/H I have seen them for £50 but even new they are hardly going to have your kids out of an inheritance :D

Agreed. I bought a 25mm TV plossl a few weeks back for £50 in mint condition. I wanted to try it out against my 24mm Hyperion. Although i prefered the wider fov of the Hyperion in all other respects the plossl won hands down. Better light throughput, better contrast and sharp right to the edge of the fov. I sold them both to fund the Panoptic but if you are happy with 50 degree fov the TV plossl would take some beating.

Ok, the 13mm Nagler arrived yesterday and i had a very brief session with it last night. The only target available was the moon and even it was drifting in and out of the clouds so it was far from ideal conditions. First impressions were WOW :) The fov is huge, and to be honest i struggled to see the field stop without shifting my head about. I have been used to 68 degree eyepiece's so i guess the Nagler will take a bit of getting used to. I found the eye relief a little short and even found my eyelash's contacting the glass on occasion but its not objectionable & hopefully its something i will get used to with practice. I found the eye placement a little fussy also but much easier when seated. I had read about these minor niggles beforehand and so they didn't come as a surprise to me. When the clouds permitted though the clarity of the view was simply stunning. I have never seen the moon at this mag with so much sky around it and it was a sight to behold. I am hoping for a proper first light over the weekend (weather permitting) and put it head to head with the 14mm Radian. I have a feeling it and the 17mm Hyperion could be on borrowed time though :)

I actually prefer the unfiltered view of the moon Alan. I have never had the need of a moon filter thankfully but can appreciate how someone with sensitive eyes would benefit.

I have found it just too much but like I said with the 13mm had no need for a filter, I got mine last Christmas, was blown away with the view of M42! Many stars were on show surrounding the main nebula itself the quality of the image was superb, M13 outstanding, Saturn my best views ever! with the 925 I had 180x which appeared to be about the right level from what others had said when observing it.

hard to beat it...well maybe an 13mm Ethos :)

You may find the eye position niggle is the exit pupil. I also found it to be fussy when first used in my Evo 120 but after it was brought to my attention I am now more aware and no longer find I have the problem. The thing is with the large FOV you feel an urge to get your eye into the lens and take it all in but because of the eye relief and exit pupil the light cone can be easily lost in to the side of your iris rather than your pupil. You soon get used to it once you realize where the problem is and this is when you start to appreciate the EP more. I found it difficult when I first tried naglers and much preferred my TMB clones. After some helpful advice from other members I worked on my technique and in the end I am glad I persevered with the Naglers. This said I think the Delos sound more like my cup of T :)

You are spot on Spaceboy. I did notice when i backed off the ep a little the problem all but disappeared although in doing so made it all but impossible to see the fieldstop. Practice makes perfect though and cannot wait to get this thing under the stars properly (if these god forsaken clouds ever shove off!)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club of awesome :) Sorry I missed this thread earlier!

You have made some great decisions about the eyepieces Damo, I am glad you are not disappointed with the results. I was initially a bit let down with the nagler because of the gripes you mentioned but after a while it has grown on me and now has become a giant workhorse of an eyepiece that I seem to use on every object.

From my sig I am sure you can see I have the 24mm and 35mm panoptic. I can vouch that they are both great as well. The 35mm isn't too much for a 200p. It's view of open clusters etc. is astonishing.

Clear skies.

Thanks Adam. They truly are wonderful ep's. I have gotten over my initial gripes with the 13mm with practice and it has now become my most used ep. I was so impressed that i added the 9mm to the family a couple of weeks ago :). Next (when the overdraft recovers) will be a nice low power 2" (35Panoptic still very much in the running) for ultra widefield views and i'll be done :)

Archived