SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hammerite drying times??

Moonshane

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all

I wanted to make sure I was not going mad or suffering from paint fume inhalation but there's the instructions, verbatim (apart from the fact I cannot reproduce a 'degrees' symbol). ( was using Hammerite Garden Shades Smooth Matt by the way.

Step 2 - Application

Ideal application temperature = 8 degrees C to 25 degrees C.

Lightly stir before use, Do NOT mix vigorously.

• Apply 2 thick coats, ensure that all edges and corners are adequately covered.
  • Second coat must be applied within 8 hours.
  • Do NOT over apply, as sagging will occur.

I followed this to the letter and still today no better. I baked in the oven for a bit but the stink was bad so I took it outside and then borrowed a heat gun to try that. This pretty much worked but very slowly. The paint hardly reacted at all to prolonged direct heat - it's certainly tough stuff.

Eventually it seemed to have dried almost all areas and I was confident enough to then spray it matt black - the hammerite was cheesing me off so much I wanted it 'gone'.

This worked OK and it seems to have settled down OK. I am hopeful this will stay on but it's not a major issue as I can always redo it again in a couple of years if needs be. To be honest, at this point I am past caring :)

Here's a pic of my cell which I finished today. Looks pretty good in the end and it is after all up the wrong end of a telescope so as long as it does its job I am not too worried.

post-17776-133877634254_thumb.jpg

I've painted my pier adapter with smooth Hammerite. Two coats (one is no longer sufficient) dried in warm sunshine in our sun lounge (lean-to greenhouse). It has hardened enough that I can't mark it with finger nails but I'll leave it a couple of weeks before putting the mount on. Give me time to do the obsy floor.

hi all

I wanted to make sure I was not going mad or suffering from paint fume inhalation but there's the instructions, verbatim (apart from the fact I cannot reproduce a 'degrees' symbol).

degrees symbol = ALT-167

Interestingly, not the same ALT code as used in Microsoft app's like Word.

Archived