SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using a focal reducer with a 150 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain

Jarvo

Hello. Having bagged my first Galaxy (M51) with my little refractor I'm looking at ways to use my 150mm Maksutov Cassegrain to view / image DSOs and take advantage of the extra aperture.

These type of scopes are renouned for not being very DSO friendly but rather than go for a new 8"/10" Newtonian, I want to know whether using a 0.5x Focal Reducer with the Mak will improve the views of fuzzies or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

In theory the 'scope will be faster (f/6 down from f/12) but are there any drawbacks? (I intend to use my olympus E410 DSLR for imaging).

Was looking at an 10" Skywatcher newt but looking at some of the comments on other threads this option looks awkward to manage. (although I was hovering over the "proceed to checkout button" this afternoon :D)

Any advice would be warmly received.

Cheers ! :p:hello2:

Jarvo

Hi Jarvo - I don't know about Maks (never owned one) but I have got a reducer for the Sct which I understand others have used very successfully on dso's (visual and AP). I guess a similar principle must be involved. But I'd suggest you try and source a loaner and try it out before buying one - they tend to be dear. Hope that helps :D

Archived