Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

AndyUK

An Impromptu MN190/NGC 7635/314L+ Co-op...

There's been one or two discussions recently about "co-op" imaging, especially when wanting to grab quantities of narrowband frames to put together to create an image that one person on their own may take some while to put together... or indeed someone would like to put an image together but hasn't yet got all the filters.

Fatwoul and I are fortunate enough in that we have pretty similar kit (:)), and recently I put together an RGB image of NGC 7635... As I needed some more RGB subs, the next clear sky I had another go at getting some more. Unknown to me, that very same night Fatwoul's MN190/314L+ was capturing some deliciously smooth Ha frames, which like me the time before he duly posted.

So after a quick PM, we set up a jointly shared dropbox and dropped all the frames in - Having identical kit, we didn't need to invest in Registar (this time), and this is the version that I came up with - I strongly suspect that Fatwoul himself could (will) do a FAR better job, but it's not a competition (as losers always say!), so I don't mind showing my attempt first.

NGC 7635 - MN190/314L+

Ha 9 x 480s provided by Fatwoul.

R 22 x 300s

G 21 x 300s

B 26 x 300s

Ha added into the R channel @ 60%, and false luminance layer added using all RGB data + 15% Ha

I don't really think that my RGB / processing has really done justice to Fatwoul's Ha - Perhaps I've toned it down too much, but it was very "intense"... Also I totally messed up the 2nd's nights Red run (yet again I forgot to switch off that bl**dy pre option!), and before anyone comments about the format looking like an Atik 4000 (Oh I wish!), this is down to the fact that our camera orientations were 90 degrees out!

Although not planned, I've actually enjoyed this more than if I'd taken all the subs on my own, and I'm very much looking forward to the next one (which will hopefully be getting some SII of M16 ;)).

post-18819-133877631102_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy for sharing this.

I tried this sharing idea a few years ago, as a means to put two funds together so we could share the cost of equipment into a single imaging setup. In your case you are going to the next step and sharing similar equipment to get more data.

I always enjoyed combined efforts and combined sessions far more than solo efforts.

Great tools those MN190 scopes, and the 314L cameras. For me, I certainly have no intention of parting with them any time soon!

Clear skies.

Edited by PortableAstronomer

Great tools those MN190 scopes, and the 314L cameras. For me, I certainly have no intention of parting with them any time soon!
You have the same...? I think that now makes at least 4 of us (maybe 5). If we all have similar sky access, this could get VERY interesting - If you don't mind, I'll add you to my list...?

Olly was mentioning about trying to get a whole group of people to capture some all-but invisible nebula - Maybe we should try and give it a whirl (if only I could remember what it was!)

You have the same...? I think that now makes at least 4 of us (maybe 5).

I have a MN190 and a QHY IMG2Pro which is the same chip. Sort of the same!

You have the same...? I think that now makes at least 4 of us (maybe 5). If we all have similar sky access, this could get VERY interesting - If you don't mind, I'll add you to my list...?
Thanks for the offer Andy, but one look of my skies should put you off the idea...

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/147920-quick-crescent-neb-under-white-street-lamp.html

I'll certainly look forward to see what you and the others can put together though. Definitely something refreshing and new here. Me likey.

Edited by PortableAstronomer

Thanks for the offer Andy, but one look of my skies should put you off the idea...

Certainly not! I image out of really bad LP (nr central portsmouth) and LP should not be a barrier to these sort of projects, especially narrowband :)

(I was about to say the same). I did see your original post showing that LP - Okay, not brilliant but if you do have some narrowband filters, then there's no reason why you can't have a go...
I have a MN190 and a QHY IMG2Pro which is the same chip. Sort of the same!
Well, looking at the specs, it IS the same... I'll add you to my list if you're interested...

THOUGHT: I'm conscious that this might be coming across as being a bit "elitest" (ie you can only join this club if you have an MN190 and use a 285 chip) but I don't have the cash to buy Registar at the moment ;). I might just have to bite the bullet and try and slip it under the wife's radar :( as it doesn't seem fair otherwise... :)

Andy, what have you done by way of re-sizing the original? The large white star is definitely pixellated on my monitor. Some colour noise evident but looking good.

Dennis

Hi Dennis - That's odd... It looks fine on my laptop...? :)

A stacked set of subs from DSS (saved as a tif) opened in PS has a size of 2782x2078 @ 100px/inch (c. 71cmx53cm). The cropped tif version has a size of 1872x1872 @ 190px/inch (25cmx25cm) and the jpg is the same...

[is anyone else seeing the pixellation... and if so, any tips how I can resolve it?]

I totally accept the criticism about the colour noise - It still needs a fair bit more... (as I noted, the 2nd set of Red frames had the "pre" option checked, which certainly wouldn't have helped...)

That's a mighty fine shared piece of work. Well done Andy.

If you change mode in PS from RGB to LAB (stands for luminence a and b channels), go to channels view and view just the L you will see that PS has a luminence image within the RGB. You don't actually need to create a synthetic one! You can do all your sharpening and contrast adjusting in the L channel without messing up the colour.

Thanks very much Martin (please don't forget Fatwoul!).

I'll definitely have to investigate that LAB mode further... That's the first time I've had LAB mode explained to me - I thought it was something to do with colour laboratories or something :D!

The large white star is definitely pixellated on my monitor.

Its OK here too Dennis.

The bubble is just so well define there, nice work from the two of you! Done a good job there of controlling the bright area in the bubble too.

Cheers,

Rich.

Olly was mentioning about trying to get a whole group of people to capture some all-but invisible nebula - Maybe we should try and give it a whirl (if only I could remember what it was!)

Was it the other bubble? The one of the soap variety adjacent to the Crescent? I'm certainly up for contributing to that, but it would have to be earlier in the evening for me, to avoid it hitting my Zenith Blind Spot.

Glad you all like this thread's picture. Andy doesn't give himself enough credit. When you look at the subs breakdown above the image, and the work he's put into it, you can see who's done most of the slogging with this one. I was just happy I could help with a few HA.

Komet - hope I can help with any co-ops you might want to do with our little MN190/285 group!

PortableAstronomer -I have one word in response to your concerns about your skies: PSH! If you could see what I see every evening when I open my dome, you'd be reassured that you are not alone with your naff skies. That's why I am concentrating on narrowband. Besides, you're portable, which is something I am most definitely not, so surely you can get yourself to darker skies on occasion. And if you have access to M16 at the moment, there's another co-opper who might be interested in your help.

It was the soap bubble, yes, and visible in a fine image by Paolo this week.

Andy that is a great image. OK some colour noise but subs will always cure that. But stone me, look at the resolution.

I really think collaboration is the way to go. It happens naturally here with guests sometimes. I have done quite a bit of sharing with that fine imager Tom O'D, for instance.

From my site what I can get that maybe some can't is good colour data. I don't use LP filters so the colour tends to be pristine. UK guys and gals can get narrowband but when the moon is around I do need to catch up on my bo-bo's...

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Ah... Yes... The Soap Bubble nebula... Wow - That's going to take an awful lot of hours to capture and I would imagine it's going to be a tad tricky to frame, especially with the MN190/285 chip combo! It might be easier with an Equinox 80/ED80 as at least you can then use the crescent as a signpost / framing aid in the top right corner (or bottom left depending on the camera orientation)

Fatwoul, my friend... The subs are all there if you want to have a go?! I was just making it up / trying things out as I went along (which was strangely therapeutic). I suspect that there's quite possibly more data to bring out, but owing to the lack of / poor quality of the RGB, I was afraid to push it to hard...

Thanks Olly - It would be nice to capture yet more RGB on this, if nothing else than to do some justice to Fatwoul's Ha subs (which is, I'm sure, where most of the resolution has come from), but it would be nice if we could see some more co-ops if possible, especially as the clear skies are so relatively rare.

However, I can see that the more co-ops we try to do, the more necessary it's going to be to buy something like Registar... :D

Hope you don't mind .....

I have recently added an off axis guider to my setup and last night was the first chance I have had to make sure it works - and does it work!!!! Very pleased with the results.

Anyway - I shot 23 x 300second images of the Bubble in Ha.

Scope: MN190

Camera: IMG2Pro at ~-35 deg

Guiding: Lodestar on the SX OAG

I have used this as a Luminosity layer over a blurred layer of your images. I know its more L on an LRGB but what the hell. If you would like the data either as a stack or as raw fits then I can post it somewhere for you to download. Please let me know.

In the meantime ......

post-17879-133877631397_thumb.jpg

I must get on to Astronomik about that Ha filter. That is not a good halo. I also need to tighten up the collimation. All in all though I was rather happy with the result.

Cheers Komet - I'm sure I can speak for both myself and Fatwoul in saying the more the merrier!

I think this proves 2 things - Your IMG2Pro subs fit perfectly, and the more subs/contributors the better... That halo is a bit of a pain, but I'm sure with a little bit of work we can shrink it down a bit (well, someone with skills better than mine, but we can have a go :D)

Strange about the pixellation, it is still there today but I'm not going to let it keep me up all night.

Lab colour is 'L' for the Lightness, 'a' is for the blue end and 'b' for the red end of the spectrum. The two colour channels make no sense at all when you look at them but you can use them to blur the colour signal without affecting the overall sharpness. It is definitely worth playing with Lab colour and it covers a bigger colour gamut than anything else. Keep your feet on the ground though!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis (strange about the pixellation though... but ho hum). Obviously I've still only scratched the surface of Photoshop, but thanks very much for the explanation. I'll also do a bit of web searching as well...