Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

jgs001

Atlantis Launch

The launch is being covered by CNN on Sky channel 506 from 3pm onwards.

I remember one of the past launches, so many people logged in that it crashed 5 sec's before launch =/

That looked a good one :)

End of an era though ;)

Daft question maybe but how are the astronauts onboard the ISS getting back if this is the last shuttle mission? I guess they have an escape or return pod but I know what its like to miss the last bus home :)

Im so happy I got to see it live, wish it was in real-life though. So glad it went without a hitch. Real shame its an end of an era.

Porl''

End of an Era indeed... And unfortunately I don't think we're going to get a single viewing opportunity from the UK during the entire mission :)

End of an era indeed, good luck to the crew and if you are paying attention Mr Obama get yer finger out !

Good to see the last launch, hope it all goes well and the return is hitch free. Sad, thats it for the shuttle :)

Edited by Nexus 6

Daft question maybe but how are the astronauts onboard the ISS getting back if this is the last shuttle mission? I guess they have an escape or return pod but I know what its like to miss the last bus home :)

Russians are still flying the soyuz to and from the ISS (there is a soyuz capsule permanently there as an emergency escape means).

There are only 4 astronauts on board this shuttle because that's the limit of the rescue capabilities available if something goes wrong, now that there are no more shuttles. They used to have a shuttle on standby to go up and rescue the stranded crew.

I watched on CNN with my 3 year old daughter ;)

I was talking to a friend before the launch who didn't get what the fuss was all about and told me i was addicted. Since they failed to follow the (seemingly) simple instruction of 'click this link at this time' i made them watch the STS-134 ascent imagery highlights video. And i quote: "Beautiful, simply beautiful. I'll never doubt you again."

That right there is the power of the Shuttle.

Russians are still flying the soyuz to and from the ISS (there is a soyuz capsule permanently there as an emergency escape means).

There are only 4 astronauts on board this shuttle because that's the limit of the rescue capabilities available if something goes wrong, now that there are no more shuttles. They used to have a shuttle on standby to go up and rescue the stranded crew.

I watched on CNN with my 3 year old daughter :D

Thank you very much

End of an Era indeed... And unfortunately I don't think we're going to get a single viewing opportunity from the UK during the entire mission :D

Yeah :p thats what my NASA app tells me. I was really hoping to try and get the ISS+shuttle in my eyepiece this time round.

Porl''

I was talking to a friend before the launch who didn't get what the fuss was all about and told me i was addicted. Since they failed to follow the (seemingly) simple instruction of 'click this link at this time' i made them watch the STS-134 ascent imagery highlights video. And i quote: "Beautiful, simply beautiful. I'll never doubt you again."

That right there is the power of the Shuttle.

I just watched that video, very emotional!