Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrobay ?????

Kai

If he had nothing to do with that domain for 8+ years then why is he still paying for it?

It may well not be the reason, but you can pay for a .com domain for up to ten years at a time.

James

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading this thread I checked my e-mail and found I'd got one too. All the aliases and attachments make it look like a phishing scam. Not saying it is, but it's pretty lousy marketing - they've managed to alienate a lot of potential users very quickly.

It came to the address I used when registering for this site (but which I also use anywhere I think it might get sold on).

Me too BTW

Why don't mass email him ??:)

Other than because it would be massively irresponsible, not to mention potentially crossing into the realms of breaking the law, and even worse if it should turn out that he has nothing to do with the site?

James

i got this e mail to just that guy may have sold all are e mail addys so watch the old spam folder fill up i never opened the said e mail at all,i to only use this e mail ad for sgl but the mods have stated they do not give are e mails out thats good enough for me i only use this e mail ad for sgl

i see no harm i got tons of spam and i still have no idea were they get my addy from

Be careful about hounding the owner of the .com domain. The one we're talking about is the .co.uk domain which has an anonymous, and presumably different, owner.

A coordinated attempt to send large numbers of emails to someone, no matter what the reason, might well find itself on the wrong side of the Computer Misuse Act, not to mention laws covering harassment, depending on how the police, lawyers and the judiciary were minded to see it.

James

The only link I can find to anything atm is via facebook.

The unsubscribe link in the email takes you to a hibbert-lau site, and in the facebook group for UKAI, Jason Hibbert-Lau is there welcoming UKAI members.

And Jason Hibbert-Lau is the creator of the UKAI group on facebook.

Interesting that the site is registered as non trading, it IS a trading site : http://www.hibbert-lau.co.uk/services/sc/

Anybody anything else?

I received the e-mail which my system labelled as SPAM. Is it possible that who ever is behind this could have got our addresses from other sources other than SGL such as other astronomy forums (I am also a member of UKAI), astro retailer and Astro Socs & Clubs?

Maybe with UKAI being dead in the water some of the admin have free time on their hands??

Either way I think it is pretty poor form to take an email address submitted in good faith and share it.

All becoming a little clearer now.

I have made the following post over on UKAI.

I have, along with many others, just recieved an unsolicited email from Astrobay Astronomy Classifieds.

The unsubscribe link takes you to a website of Jason Hibbert-Lau, whom I believe is one of the admins here.

Have our email addresses been sold/transferred/accessed from UKAI?

I will thank you for your honest and prompt reply. A copy of this post will be available on stargazerslounge for the mutual members.

Thank you.

TJ

Will see what happens. I cant see anything in the signup form that concerns the sharing of email addresses.

Archived