SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrobay ?????

Kai

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Mike :)

Is there a way that Grant could check to see if the server has been "hacked" as at the moment the only common denominator does seem to be membership of SGL

Just to make clear i am not claiming that SGL admin have anything or know anything about this , i know / met all of them.

I would just like to echo Kai's sentiments...

Peter...

p.s. If they are "watching" I want full recompense for an unsolicited e-mail and the psychological stress it has caused..

A Paramount ME, Big Tak, and a humongous CCD with all the accessories may just about cover it :):evil6:;)

Billy...

An email from Astrobay for me too, thankfully went straight into spam. Again, this has been sent to the email address that I use for SGL - I have no other astro interests registered with this address.

I guess that someone from SGL (high up in the chain) is looking into this as it seems from peoples comments that in a number of cases the email addresses that astrobuy got hold of were only used for SGL. Has there been some kind of hack into the database?

I am a technophobe, so probably got all the wording wrong, but you know what I mean!!

Cheers Mike :)

Is there a way that Grant could check to see if the server has been "hacked" as at the moment the only common denominator does seem to be membership of SGL

Just to make clear i am not claiming that SGL admin have anything or know anything about this , i know / met all of them.

+1

But the URL is directing to a new site and as the domain owner only he should able repoint it. Either his domain management account has been hacked or he has pointed the domain to the website.

Either way as domain owner he is responsible.

I did some digging on this and found that the email contained and unsubscribe link which went to hibbert-lau.co.uk - owned by 'Jason Hibbert'.

Domain name: hibbert-lau.co.uk Registrant: Jason Hibbert Registrant type: UK Individual Registrant's address: The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service. Registrar: Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG] URL: Domain names | Domain name registration | 123-reg Relevant dates: Registered on: 21-Jan-2007 Renewal date: 21-Jan-2013 Last updated: 07-Mar-2011 Registration status: Registered until renewal date. Name servers: ns.123-reg.co.uk ns2.123-reg.co.uk

Also to confirm, SGL has not given this information away to anyone. We are also not aware of any breaches of any kind to the site - it is something we monitor very closely.

We are also not aware of any bugs or problems with the forum software that would allow this kind of access.

We will of course continue to monitor the situation closely.

Thanks,

Grant

As long as SGL doesnt do a NOTW...

I can do without one but not the other...

Don't worry - I'm sure if they have to pull SGL due to a hacking scandal it could be quickly rebranded and relaunched under the name The (Sunday)SunGazers Lounge? ;):)

Not sure this is of any use but the other evening I did notice an obvious attempt of computer generated new members joining the forum. They, it, attempted to join many times in a short period with names like fjohns hdavey. It was the names that stood out to me as they were real names but with another letter at the beginning and end, they are not the normal names the members pick. I am not in to computers like my brother has been for the last thirty years but am sure he as said something about this type of probing attack.

David

My guess is that it is one of the existing or until recently existing astro traders who have set this thing up. It will be a site advertising stuff as well as the "free ads" (time taken to view adverts is a cost, no free lunches :) ) and I bet all will become clear very soon.

Whoever the "Astrobay Crew" are, I bet we already know them, and a bit about them, just not sure why there would be the deliberate crypticness on the launch pages, as posted above, if all is above board. Seems a bit of an underhanded way to start up, especially with the unsolicited emails?

Archived