Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrobay ?????

Kai

Does anybody know anything about Astrobay ?

Do they have links to any suppliers ? if so that would explain why i received a welcome email :) , if not then where did they get my email address ?

Cheers ;)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same email - it's a .co.uk not a .com though. I also don't know how they managed to get hold of my email address.

Nothing guarantees my avoidance of a website more than an unsolicited email!

Both myself and Amanda have also received the mail. As Amanda has only ever been on 1 astronomy site....this one, so I assume that they've got the email addresses from this site.....somehow.

Rob

Both myself and Amanda have also received the mail. As Amanda has only ever been on 1 astronomy site....this one, so I assume that they've got the email addresses from this site.....somehow.

Rob

I don't have any email contact details on my profile - the only time I have submitted my email is when I joined. So I assume the list of email addresses wasn't acquired legitimately as SGL wouldn't be giving this kind of info out to anybody?

I don't have any email contact details on my profile - the only time I have submitted my email is when I joined. So I assume the list of email addresses wasn't acquired legitimately as SGL wouldn't be giving this kind of info out to anybody?

My thoughts too :)

As soon as I registered on Ab&s I started getting huge amounts of spam lots of it telescope related. I had been a member here for a while already with no spam to talk of going to my email. So maybe its Ab&s related ?

Jake

As soon as I registered on Ab&s I started getting huge amounts of spam lots of it telescope related. I had been a member here for a while already with no spam to talk of going to my email. So maybe its Ab&s related ?

Jake

I have never used Astro buy & sell - so it can't be that.

It could also be tracking cookies on your PC that log the type of websites that you visit and then send targeted spam to your email address.

John

How would it get the email address ?

Some of this "malware" is designed to dig out that info and forward it on. In many cases they're not trying to damage your PC or steal really personal info, they just want it for marketing purposes, such as making up emailing lists that they can sell on.

I'm not saying that this is the case, it's just one possibility.

John

I have also received the e-mail. It would be good to know who is running the website, as it is completely anonymous with no contact details at all on the website. The astrobay.co.uk domian was registered on 16th June 2011, but the owner has opted to remain anonymous.

This is the only Astro site that I visit with the e-mail address use to invite me to visit Astrobay.co.uk .

Not very pleased that someone has released my e-mail address without my permission.

I have now blocked Astrobay.

WHOIS info

domain: astrobay.com

created: 17-Dec-1999

last-changed: 20-Jun-2011

registration-expiration: 17-Dec-2011

nserver: ns10.1and1.co.uk

nserver: ns9.1and1.co.uk

registrant-firstname: Stephen

registrant-lastname: Folkes

John

Not very pleased that someone has released my e-mail address without my permission.
I've no idea where or how they got the email addresses but they were NOT released by this forum.

Mike

For the record I can confirm THAT WE WOULD NEVER give email addresses out.

Cheers

Ant

Exactly my point - so they must have been "stolen" if that's the correct phrase.

Is Stephen Folkes a member here?

edit: Stephen Folkes appears to do web design so most likely he registered on behalf of his client who owns the site.

I've just called Stephen Folkes and he claims that he's done nothing with that domain for 8+ years and can only surmise the emails have been sent by someone else.

I may be gullible but he did sound sincere.

Mike

Archived