Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

James Webb Space Telescope MIGHT be cancelled.

inksmithy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a huge loss, i like im guessing everyone here was massivly excited as to what we would learn from this telescope:(

With the last shuttle flight and now this it seems like we are moving backwards.:)

I'm not surprised.

"The bill also terminates funding for the James Webb Space Telescope, which is billions of dollars over budget and plagued by poor management. "

A fair chunk of my life was spent in the Aerospace industry where I witnessed first hand the escalating cost of materials and labour - not to mention the empire-building project managers who considered their status/office accomodation more important than the project itself. On the positive side, there are signs that some Earth-based optical systems are performing better than expected - after all, if mere mortals like us have been able to produce stunning pictures with modified webcams what will the next two or three generation of super-duper sensors be like on top flight telescopes on a mountain top.

RIP - JWST

I don't know how the US governmental system works (I'm not sure the US government knows how it works either) -- but it seems this is a *proposed* bill, not an approved bill.

JWST is certainly under pressure -- but it there will be quite a fight before it is stopped.

As an American taxpayer, I must demur that we can no longer afford the profligacy of wasteful, poorly managed boondoggles. I applaud our congress for not funding them. As a very amateur astronomer I am disappointed that we will not have another eye beyond the atmosphere.

If the EU would like to take over funding, I would happily support a transfer of the entire project. We in the US simply cannot afford it. When (if) America ever changes its priorities and refocuses on national welfare instead of the welfare of international business interests, we might reconsider the project. I fear, however, that it will not be within my lifetime because such redirection of national priorities will take at least a generation to accomplish even after the decision to do so has been taken.

As an American taxpayer, I must demur that we can no longer afford the profligacy of wasteful, poorly managed boondoggles. I applaud our congress for not funding them. As a very amateur astronomer I am disappointed that we will not have another eye beyond the atmosphere.

If the EU would like to take over funding, I would happily support a transfer of the entire project. We in the US simply cannot afford it. When (if) America ever changes its priorities and refocuses on national welfare instead of the welfare of international business interests, we might reconsider the project. I fear, however, that it will not be within my lifetime because such redirection of national priorities will take at least a generation to accomplish even after the decision to do so has been taken.

Well said.

And we all know why the EU can't take over the funding.

(which has little to do with the EU).

Even more $billions of american tax payers money totally wasted then! Just like the cancellation of the 2020 lunar missions.

Don't get me wrong I know times are hard financially but it's a terrible shame to see such a waste. Science is an area in my opinion that should not receive cuts as our future depends on it. Its where discoveries are made and how we advance as a species.

People complained about the spending during the first moon landings yet people have shown that for every one dollar spent on the lunar missions fourteen were brought back into the US economy over the long term as a direct result. The people who make these decisions must not see things this way. I get the impression they are just looking at the numbers rather than an investment for the future. Maybe I'm wrong but in my opinion it's terribly sad where priorities are focused. As a certain loved/hated popular tv professor said... 'cutting science is financial suicide'

I hope this proposal really doesnt get passed or what's next to go? The Mars Science Laboratory? Once we have finished bailing out the banks and protecting the bankers gigantic bonuses (which apparently cost about the same as a manned mission to mars would) and paying for politicians to have their moats cleaned etc...

ALL big projects go over budget, it's inevitable.

They all go over budget becuase if the accurate engineering estimates were placed at the bidding stage the one company that understated costs a little bit would always get the job, so there is a reward for underbidding and then inevitable cost and time "overruns".

(worked on medium sized government jobs)

I also have to concurr with Budski.. there's always empire building to contend with.

Maybe we'll get ground based optical interferometary working well instead.

Derek

Well said.

And we all know why the EU can't take over the funding.

(which has little to do with the EU).

While I understand your point; rather than cancel it, which seems to be the knee jerk reaction of most governments, why not make a real, honest attempt at making the thing truly international? Not lip service, which again, seems to be the province of most governments, but real effort.

It seems such a tragedy to lose the progress made in all of these different projects just because of filthy lucre and some percieved "status".

Alan

With the scope being of much more limited life expectancy than HST, and being sent way out beyond serviceable range it was always on shaky ground.

Yes I always thought this was the achilles heel of this project, imagine first switch on and getting the results hubble had :)

I think putting a more permanent structure on the dark side of the moon would make more sense.

What an absolute shame. It is true what people are saying, that it seems we are in fact regressing in our ventures into space and for there to be seemingly nothing after Hubble's demise seems highly unjust. We need look no further than the 2 Voyager probes, missions that represent the height of man's brilliance and just what we are capable of.

However, how do we know China and India aren't preparing something of their own? I think if we are to start progressing again into space with Mars landings etc, then surely we have to look East to these nations that are growing quickly economically?

Archived