Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First ever RGB - M81 and M82

OK so be gentle chaps as I'm new to this.

Cocked up by having the RGB frames rotated with respect to the luminance frame by about 30 degrees. It probably pays to do them all at the same time I guess, or have some kind of alignment system.

Anyway, between the clouds last night I managed to get some RGB through the filters which arrived so I've had a quick go at lining them all up.

Each colour was copied into the luminace as a seperate layer and a hue/saturation clipping mask layer added on top of each to give them colour. RGB layers set as screen type layers with a second luminance frame over the top of it all set to luminosity.

It could definitely be better if I knew what I was doing in Photoshop, but here it is for your delectation.

image.jpg

Captain Chaos

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as it came out of the Atik Rog. I had to lasso M81 and wind it up a bit to keep M82 under control, but it's pretty much raw out of the camera. Now I need something colourful to try next as M42 seems to have got a bit low down suddenly.

Did the luminance with a CLS filter unbinned and the RGB binned 2X2 with the CLS and the RGB filters. I'd forgot that I'd left the CLS on the camera nose until I'd focused it so I left it on to ensure that light pollution wouldn't mess it all up. Don't know if that's a good thing or a no-no.

Captain Chaos

Once Rog. has got himself all domed up and guiding he'll be in a different league altogether. Personally I can't wait to see what he comes up with, it'll knock this one into a cocked hat.

Captain Chaos

Yeah! We are all aware of The maestro's talent, but Rog will even admit that he will not be able to relax, cos even the short time I've been a member, there's been a marked improvement in the images coming in. It seems that once you have good data, it's then down to the processing that follows, and I think probably it's in that area where improvements are being made by most of the guys.

I have just had a look at the link you provided for Darren, and that is a seriously good production CC.

Ron.. :)

well Ron i know what ya mean , when CC came here and not so long ago , lets be fair he could not produce much ,but this is what its all about encouraging ppl to take interest and have ago . its hard yes but nothing no one cant do , CC has come on great and now produces those images he has always looked at in books , and Martin came to me only just over a year ago and look at him, kicking my *** now heheheh , so i feel great personally , in seeing this , yup i have to step up a cog soon and try and produce some good images , anyway enough of my gabbling ,

GREAT IMAGE ONCE AGAIN CC, NOW I CAN SEE IT ON MY HOME MONITOR

Rog

Fantastic detail from the luminence in that image CC. It looks a little green. The core of M82 looks very nice. I'm not quite sure of the routine you used. It's new to me. Try this routine. Combine the LRGBs seperately but don't do any more processing. Then open the RGB images in PS. Open the channels menu and using the options select Merge and choose RGB. This should do your combine nicely provided you haven't cropped any of the images. Now do the histogram stretch as outlined in one of my primers. When you adjust the levels do each colour channel seperately - this will eliminate the bias. You don't need to do the curves seperately. Then try tweaking the colour balance and saturation. Once it looks ok. Select, copy and paste into your luminence image. Set opacity to 50% and use use the move tool if not in alignment. Reset opacity to 100% and then choose "colour" as the blend mode. See what you come up with.

When doing the histogram stretch just save when M82 looks ok then keep going with the stretching until M81 is there. You can then paste in M82 from the earlier save.

Standing on the shoulders of giants Rog. That's what's done it. Without all your help I'd have packed it in months ago. Your advice and encouragement have been relentless, thanks mate.

Captain Chaos

Great Images 8) - Once I find my way round my new scope I hope to be producing some images of my own. Somehow I expect I will be pestering you all for advice sooner or later!!! :)

Cheers

Bill£

Ask away Bill, that way we all learn stuff.

Thanks CC, I have downloaded Registax v4 and have been thinking 'bout getting a Toucam Pro III (seen one on "Modern Astronomy" site.

However, I think I ought to walk (more like crawl) before I can run! Need to explore what the scope can do first and get used to setting it up properly. (Had minor problems with aligning last night - more haste, less speed type prob)!!

Look forward to seeing more of your images.

Cheers

Bill£

Picking up on Martin's comments and with his tips, techniques and tutoring, here's one with the colour balance improved. (well different anyway)

image.jpg

Click for a bigger one or http://www.gas.uk.net/images/M81&82reedit.jpg for full size.

I rotated the luminance frame instead of the RGB data, which is why it's oriented differently.

Captain Chaos

Archived