Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece Help...

Hi all, I was just wondering if someone could help me choose a wide or super wide eyepiece for my Meade ls6 acf scope. Im new to Astronomy and the site and so far have purchased the meade series 4000 eyepiece set which is great but now want to have a super wide ep. I cant afford to buy them all so was wondering which would be say (a happy medium) thanks alot.

Regards,

Andy

Ps just joining Cotswold Astronomical society so If anyone is a member, Il look forward to meeting you.

If you stick with 1.25" format eyepieces, the maximum field of view is provided by a 32mm plossl (52 degrees) or a 24mm wide angle such as a Hyperion (68 degrees). They will both show you the same amount of sky, just at different magnifications.

If you can move to 2" eyepieces then the field of view can be wider but I'm not sure whether the small rear aperture of the LS6 makes this worthwhile.

To be honest, most eyepieces perform well at F/10 so you don't need to spend really big bucks, unless you really want to.

If you do move to 2" you will need a new diagonal as well of course.

If you want top quality in the 1.25" fitting I'd be thinking of a Tele Vue Panoptic 24mm.

Thanks, looks like I will be saving then. Just a bit worried the ep is better than my scope lol. I will stick with 1.25 " for now until I start getting my head around the right way. Ha Ha.

I did however see a thread on here about the meade 4.7 ultra wide which is selling on ebay for about £66.55, £80.00 inc postage from a guy in america who people have dealt with and said is very good. However another thread suggests that this ep is poor quality what with no soft eyepiece and they were not too happy with the optics or price either! Any Thoughts ???

Thanks Chaps,

PS -Hi Rik, I will see you on saturday.

...I did however see a thread on here about the meade 4.7 ultra wide which is selling on ebay for about £66.55, £80.00 inc postage from a guy in america who people have dealt with and said is very good. However another thread suggests that this ep is poor quality what with no soft eyepiece and they were not too happy with the optics or price either! Any Thoughts ???

You and Rik are not too far from me - I'm just SW of Bristol :)

You seem to get these varied views on ultra-wide, short focal length eyepieces - some like them and some just don't. I guess there can also be some quality variation amongst samples as well although I would not expect much to be honest.

Personally I'm a fan of ultra-wide at all magnifications - very helpful with my undriven, alt-az mounted scopes ;)

But not everyones cup of tea, I accept.

Andy, I am bringing either my Skymax or the Phenix refractor on Saturday. Checking the weather it is 50/50 but you never know, we may be lucky. I have a Meade 4000 8.8mm UWA in my bag that you should have a look through. The widest EP I currently have is a 2" 30mm 60° Vixen LV so I am not sure if that will fit in your scope. I don't have a 2" diagonal so can't use it in either of the ones I will be bringing. If we get some clear patches of sky, let's have a play?

Thanks guys, bet you get some nice skies down somerset Ja. Yes the reviews on here do seem a bit mixed and as you say I suppose you can get better ep's than others I suppose.

I think once I know what i'm doing i'll work this bit out for myself. ( he says lol ).

Lets hope the skies are on our side on Saturday then Rik. Would be nice to have a look through that eyepiece thanks. Remember I haven't a clue on what i'm doing so any pointers will be great. I am however determined to know more than my scope does (which is alot apparently) so I have gotta start somewhere and the club sounds great.

See you then, thanks guys,

Regards A.

Given the size of your baffle tube, I'd say the 24mm Hyperion is a perfect match to your scope. At f10 it will be a great performer. With x64 and 1.1° field, you'll be able to fit the Pleiades in :)

Thanks Spock, the baader Hyperion is alot cheaper, Im going to astronomy club on Saturday so I will hopefully start to get a feel of whats what and see if anyone else has a few reviews on these ep's.

regards

a.p

Ps love the name.

Archived