SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 6888 - Atik 383 1.25 filters

Coco

Finally I managed an image run on Friday night, although very short it wasn’t too bad, managed 70 mins of Ha and 30mins of OIII ( not in this image) hopefully later in the Month I'll complete it.

Interestingly I cropped the 383 image to something like the 314L image I took last month, the 314L was also at 5 minutes, the 314 shows more detail and looks to me a bit smoother.

I must admit am very happy with the 383 and look forward to the nights darkening. It doesn’t stretch as far as the 314L but it’s a wonderful camera.

70 minutes x Ha

110mm megrez f/5.9

Skywatcher flattener

original.jpg

383 crop

original.jpg

314L Un cropped

original.jpg

I must admit I dont miss my 314 one bit, the massive FOV and larger images are a winner for me :)

I totally agree with you, just wandering in the long run is the 314 going to be a keeper for me still.

Nice image BTW Guy, ;)

Nadeem

It certainly looks like an interesting camera. Mine arrived on friday but I had no time over the weekend to play with it :)

I've just ordered an OAG to go with the 383, along with a 2" LP & UV/IR filters.

I agree that in the images the 314 pulls fainter details however I disagree with the resolution. A good example is the two, small but close brighter stars at 1930 position from the nebula.

In the 314 they're brighter but larger. In the 383 they're smaller but dimmer. This is what I'd expect from the difference in pixel size.

This is the same for thr pair of stars at 3 o'clock too.

I knew this camera would require more time on target.

Sorry, the first wide image wasn't showing.. Ive fixed that :)

What I like is the massive field, yet resolution enough to crop in tighter, this means with a reducer its going to be very flexible.. ;)

Looks like the camera is working well for you Guy, that is a fine pic from 70mins Ha. I haven't checked the comparative read noise specs from the 2 cameras but do know that it is exceptionally low for the 314. With narrow band imaging you need long long subs (>30 mins from my moderately light polluted sky) to get over the read noise so this may be why you don't appear to be able to stretch things as far. Often it's not feasible to use long subs like this but 5 minutes is too short really. For broad band imaging I expect you will find that the 383 images will stretch just as well.

Very interesting comparison.

Actually I had a 383 on loan and went back to the 314 and QHY8.

With my LP'd sky I need the narrowband "quietness" and larger pixel size of the Sony chips. They seem better for aggressive stretching, but maybe that's just my opinion.

I would love to try an Atik 4000 (bigger pixels) but that's way out of my budget!

The resolution of the 383 should be better with the smaller pixels than the 314 but you might be seeing better detail in the 314 image because it is deeper due to its bigger pixels:icon_scratch:

There's always the option to bin 2x at longer focal lengths and still have plenty of pixels to play with.

Nice images there and glad you're liking the camera.

Cheers,

Rich.

Archived