SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What are the ten easiest Messier Deep Sky Objects?

CloudFree

Hi,

As I am getting back into astronomy I want to obviously buy a better scope, a benefit of my middle age is that I now could easily manage a £1000 budget. But I don’t want to rush into things and buy something that will gather dust. So to prove to myself that I am serious I want to set some targets, to show my interest and competence with what I have now. I have had moderate success with my 60mm refractor on planets but have an appalling record on deep sky objects, I am only expecting to see smudges but cant even manage that.

My target to meet is therefore set as identifying 10 items from the Messier Catalog, I am getting some 10*50 Binos for Christmas which I hope will help me, and are not too expensive, and still be useful if I give up or carry on.

Could anyone help me compile a list of the 10 easiest Messier objects to identify, bearing in mind I am based in sub-urban UK.

My list so far is:

1) M45 The Pleiades - Done this

2) M42 The Orion Nebula - Done this

3) M31 The Andromeda Galaxy - Failed, apart from possibly once. (Need to re-confirm)

4) M13 Hercules Globular Cluster - Failed

5) M44 The Beehive Cluster - Failed

Suggestions for 6 - 10 welcome

I considered NGC 869\884 but want to stick to Messier, - I feel it’s a bit like Bagging A Munroe. If I suceed, then shopping I go.

3) M31 The Andromeda Galaxy - Failed, apart from possibly once. (Need to re-confirm)

4) M13 Hercules Globular Cluster - Failed

5) M44 The Beehive Cluster - Failed

Hi Cloudfree,

All three of the above are visible by naked eye so you should have no problem viewing them with your 60mm refractor (what model is it by the way?).  How are you finding them - star chart, book, software?

Steve :clouds1:

I'd guess you'll have much better success on objects 3-5 when you get your binos. The Beehive might not be easily apparent in the FOV of your refractor and M13 (along with the Ring, Rogers number 6) is one of those objects that once you've found it, you'll wonder how you ever missed it.

Thanks for the responses so far;

To answer Steve, my refractor is a 25+ year old “Astral Telescope  Model 100” by Prinz Optics with the markings “Achromatic Coated Lens 15X30X45X60 D=60mm” but I guess that is only of interest to the Antique Roadshow. It provides an upright image and has a zoom lens and is mounted on a York mount with very jerky movement. I try to locate the DSOs by studying star-charts, books and “Stary Night Backyard” software. I then go outside (Without book) and try to star hop, which is not easy with the above York mount.

To answer  Gaz, my refractor at 15X magnification which is what I use for DSO hunting has a FOV which just comfortably fit’s the Pleiades 110 arc minutes (4 moon diameters).

Thanks Daz for the link but RA and Dec positioning is not of much use to me - no setting circles.  In fact a useful link I am finding is http://www.seds.org/messier/m/ . I am looking at the Visual Brightness and Apparent Dimension to try and guess what I might see.

Thanks to Rog I think I shall certainly add M57 and M27 to my list ( So I now have Open and Globular clusters, a galaxy, a diffuse nebula and two planetary  nebula to aim for). I am considering M16 and M17 which leaves me with one more “easy” target.

I am hoping that my Binos (Arrived today - but hidden by wife until Christmas) will be a lot better for the job than the scope. I am not sure whether to blame my failure on light pollution, incompetence or just a case of training the eye.

Archived