Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

MartinB

M16 Hubbled

Absolutely beautiful image of the Pillars.

Wonderful detail and colour contrast Martin.

Edited by Telrad

I can't really say anything that everybody hasn't already said - It's simply a breathtakingly beautiful image... and somehow so peaceful... You've certainly done it great justice with the processing too.

I just hope I can find somewhere dark with a low southerly aspect where I can have a go at capturing this someday soon (if not already too late!) - I know it won't be as good as this, but it was the pillars of creation that I used as part of my business case for getting my CCD camera / narrowband filters. If I can only get half way towards this, my wife will LOVE it (and she's the one who holds my Astro budget purse-strings :))

Thanks again for the encouraging comments.

The SX Active optics unit was a big help with this project. I had a reasonable guide star and was running about 8 guide cycles per second which did a bit to counter act poor seeing. On some occasions the guide star was bouncing all over the place. I'm also a big fan of the deconvolution tools in CCDStack.

Your perseverance has paid off! Brilliant image Martin, well done.

Rob.

Have done a small tweak to enhance the contrast and sharpen a little.

post-12794-133877628703_thumb.jpg

That's a fantastic image Martin!

My house get's in the way so I have no hope of this!

My house get's in the way so I have no hope of this!

Time to move house Daz :)

Wow! I've yet to persuade Kate to allow me to move the house to capture this object :)

In the meantime I'll just have to settle for looking at images like this. It's a hard life!

James

This is another one I somehow missed but Tim's POW has put me onto it.

Astounding image. The colours are gentle and free of dodgy Hubble turquoise (!!) but look at the resolution; you could drive a horse and cart between the pair of close doubles above the pillars.

This was with the active optics device fluttering away, Martin? However you did it, it works. (Edit, you've already answered that earlier. Sorry. But that kind of resolution is rarely seen especially in tree skimmers such as this must be from up yonder.)

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Wow the Ha by itself look fantastic...I wish this object was visible to me from home but its not...never mind, excellent work Martin as usual.

Just a quick question, whats the band pass of the Ha filter that you used?

Edited by Neil Hankey

Issa very nice :BangHead:

Thanks for the pointer to the CCDsharp freeware, downloading now. Hopefully that will make deconvolution less of a lottery.