M16 Hubbled

MartinB

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really say anything that everybody hasn't already said - It's simply a breathtakingly beautiful image... and somehow so peaceful... You've certainly done it great justice with the processing too.

I just hope I can find somewhere dark with a low southerly aspect where I can have a go at capturing this someday soon (if not already too late!) - I know it won't be as good as this, but it was the pillars of creation that I used as part of my business case for getting my CCD camera / narrowband filters. If I can only get half way towards this, my wife will LOVE it (and she's the one who holds my Astro budget purse-strings :))

Thanks again for the encouraging comments.

The SX Active optics unit was a big help with this project. I had a reasonable guide star and was running about 8 guide cycles per second which did a bit to counter act poor seeing. On some occasions the guide star was bouncing all over the place. I'm also a big fan of the deconvolution tools in CCDStack.

Wow! I've yet to persuade Kate to allow me to move the house to capture this object :)

In the meantime I'll just have to settle for looking at images like this. It's a hard life!

James

• 2 weeks later...

This is another one I somehow missed but Tim's POW has put me onto it.

Astounding image. The colours are gentle and free of dodgy Hubble turquoise (!!) but look at the resolution; you could drive a horse and cart between the pair of close doubles above the pillars.

This was with the active optics device fluttering away, Martin? However you did it, it works. (Edit, you've already answered that earlier. Sorry. But that kind of resolution is rarely seen especially in tree skimmers such as this must be from up yonder.)

Olly

Archived