SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Disappointed with DSO views? I have the answer!

Bazzaar

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm planning to buy an SCB 4000P, the Spec sheet doesn't mention whether it's PAL or NTSC. How can you tell which one you'll get?

With the Samsung cameras 'P' means PAL and 'N' means NTSC. See the link in post #166 for full explanation of naming conventions.

I cant believe I missed this thread:icon_confused: Should have chipped in sooner but the brains been otherwise engaged lately.

As John said earlier on, I was on the pitch next to him at SGL6 with my Meade 127EDT and a Mintron 12V6 feeding into my netbook via an el cheapo capture dongle I got off ebay. This worked well and together with Skymap running the goto on the mount I was able to bag loads of obscure galaxies that would otherwise have been out of range of a 5" refractor.

I started several years ago with a Mintron 12V1 in a C11 and this was gob smacking for pulling in the fainter DSOs. I also tried a Watec 120 with the C11 and will always remember the view "live" of M33, it was all there:icon_eek: arms, Ha regions everything, fantastic.

I prefer the views I get with a little B+W 5" Maplins telly to those on the netbook or lappy because you have so much more control on contrast and brightness with the crt than lcd but thats just my preference.

The newer 12V6 is the same chip size as the 12V1 (Sony Superhad chip) but with alot better noise control, nice black background with little ampglow and fewer hot pixels.

I only occassionally image with it for record purposes only, I have an Atik 314L for real imaging, the camera is mainly used for enhanced visual work.

The Watec is much more sensitive than the Mintron agreed but the Mintron is about half the price so dont discount this camera if your looking to go video.

Oh, I used to autoguide using the mintron as a very capable guide cam, now thats one versatile little camera:)

Ive no experience with teh Samsung cams but from what I have seen in reviews they are just teh ticket, sensitive and cheap.

Finally, video astronomy has been round for yonks, I started about 7 years ago and always wondered why other folk didnt do it.

I suspect a lot of people class it as an impatient persons imaging method but it shouldnt be classed with imaging, (even though you can image with it) its an observational tool 1st and foremost IMHO.

Thankfully its recently started to get the attention it deserves, long may it increase in popularity.

Philj

Another one from the Mintron camp. I'm sure it was your review I read somewhere about the Mintron when I was looking for one a couple of years ago. I still use the 12V6 now for guiding. It always finds lots of stars to guide with through the ST-80.

Hi sgazer

I used the 12V6 for guiding in a 127 Mak and was always able to get guidestars then last year I went down to the ST80 thinking I would have problems but not a bit, stars always there.

When guiding what integration rate do you use?

I used 32x and never had any problems even with 30 minute Ha subs. I thought this may have been too short but had no problems with it.

Philj

on the subject of USB video capture cards.....can anyone recommend one that they are using?

i know they have had not so good press about them overall and want to see what you guys have bought.

Any benifits to buying a HD capture card....would the output video be noticably different?

Thks

Well for a bit of toe dipping into this brave new world I have gone with the Samsung SCB-200P (1/3") a 2.9-8.5mm f1.2 auto-iris lens and PSU... I have an ION-2 USB capture dongle for the Lappy or netbook...

I Called in maplins on the way home for some leads as I didn't feel like making them and picked up Sovos 7" Digital/Analog TV with Video in/out which can record to a USB stick (A66KF).. It runs of 12/24V DC and has a 3000mAH LI-PO battery pack with it so can run standalone for around 2 1/2 hours... The Samsung and Lens should be with me tomorrow :)

Peter...

Archived