Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Disappointed with DSO views? I have the answer!

Bazzaar

Hi,

A bold statement I know but I'm convinced this is the solution.

Get a Samsung SCB 2001 camera and watch them on telly!

The problem is not with the scopes we are using, but our eyes, they just ain't sensitive enough!

Not a purists solution maybe, but all those modest aperture goto scopes would be transformed, revealing shape and detail, even colour on what would be just grey smudges visually.

Not expensive either, about £100, I got mine for £50 on ebay.

Regards

Barry

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep Barry, this is the new wave of visual astronomy that's going to re-energise many of us.

I know it certainly has given me new motivation and has my mojo all abroil.

Why is it different to other cameras? simplicity, attach to scope with an adapter, plug into telly, view DSO's immediately.

You CAN capture the video and process into a picture for a permanent record, but for me the main advantage is live view.

I switch from B&W to colour depending on conditions and subject.

B&W is more sensitive and suffers less from lp I find.

At the SGL6 star party, the chap next to me, PhilJ, had a 5" Meade APO connected to a Watec (I think) monochrome camera which used a laptop as a monitor. It was delivering DSO views equivilent to a scope at least twice the aperture, probably a bit more. Phil could then capture the object, make some notes on it and store it for future reference.

Very neat :)

Sorry for being a dumbass but I don't get it. Is it not the same image you would see using a web cam? The only improvement I found there is the images can be stacked and processed. Are the images with the Samsung SCB 2001 camera not subjected to the same seeing issues that any eye, web cam or other camera would suffer from???

You can use a laptop if you get a USB video capture device. £20ish

Could you just list all the equipment I'd need to use one with a laptop? I'm a bit confused on what bits I actually need.

Also, do you need a tracking mount, or because it's a live view, is Alt-Az fine?

Clear Skies

From reading up, it looks as though you can integrate a lot of frames in real time to basically give you say a live 2 second exposure something a webcam or Mark I eyeball cannot.

Well if I read it right :)

Cheers

Ian

You need the camera connected to a USB frame grabber, frame grabber connected to laptop USB port and run some capture software like AMcap.

Compared to a webcam these cameras are way more sensitive, plus they they have frame integration built in, up to 10 seconds. In fact the onboard video processor is quite impressive, frame buffer so it continues to output the last frame whilst processing the new one (no black screen in between output), dynamic noise reduction, image stabilisation. So it does it own align and stack function. I have noticed gradual improvements in an image after several 10 second periods as it continues to process them. Quite magical actually.

And yes a alt/az will work. Most of the astro suppliers have the adapters under C mount adaptors like;First Light Optics - 1.25" nosepiece to fit C-mount lens threads (all CCTV cameras)

Barry

er. the laptop is just the display device, the camera does all the work.

Let me summarise, the camera outputs VIDEO. You need to display VIDEO. How and with what device is up to you. IF, you use a laptop or PC, you have the added advantage of being able to store a record of what you are viewing and process the image further.

Also the model I have is not the only suitable one out there, the are the SDC425, SDC435,SCC-B2335, SCC-B2337, SCB3001,SCB-4000 and the really high spec SCC-A2333. These are all Samsung, I have looked at other makes but they dont compare very well. There is even a model that is in a weather proof dome with remote zoom and control. Mini robot obsy?

Sounds really interesting. Is there any sites on the 'net you can point us to to read up more?

Like the idea of using purely for visual use with a small say 7" LCD. Would save having to stoop over an eyepiece as well :)

Tell us more!!!!

Cheers

Ian

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Bazzaar and putting my skeptic nature to rest. Sounds like a great idea for those nights that are clear but you still can't seem to see a dam thing. How are the cameras powered ?

Sorry for being a dumbass but I don't get it. Is it not the same image you would see using a web cam? The only improvement I found there is the images can be stacked and processed. Are the images with the Samsung SCB 2001 camera not subjected to the same seeing issues that any eye, web cam or other camera would suffer from???

Yes, it's basically just a sensitive video camera. That has benefits so far as seeing is concerned as the exposure time is only 20mSec (50 frames/sec) so a few bad milliseconds doesn't spoil a long-exposure image.

If you want, and are prepared to pay for a fully "astronomised" video camer there's the Mallincam range, which includes cooling as well - though they're considerably more expensive that this domestic offering,

A comprehensive (featuring up to date equipment / software etc.) book is:

Deep-Sky Video Astronomy Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series: Amazon.co.uk: Steve Massey, Steve Quirk: Books

But there are MANY other applications too... solar, planetary, spectroscopy etc. I was getting fine results on DSOs with a MAK/Watec combo - Real Time Magnitude 15 objects. Recently decided to go to a F4 photo-Newt, for even greater sensitivity. :(

Even a Netbook is adequate for capturing / recording AVI files for subsequent (additional) stacking / processing. :)

Yes Ian I have had the same thought, small lcd display and, like the cameras, can all be run off 12v DC. I'm now thinking of how to get cameras in the finder and polar scope! :)

The bit that says DOES NOT WORK VISTA OR WIN7? Sounds well dodgy.

Bear in mind the quality of the capture device will have a large influence on the images transferred to the computer.

Archived