Narrowband

Irregular dwarf galaxy NGC4449 (Caldwell 21)

RobH

Hello all.....this is the last of my current batch of data, so I need to get some more!!

NGC 4449 (Caldwell 21) is an irregular dwarf galaxy and part of the Canes Venatici cluster.

It's about 12 million light years away and is very similar to the large Magellanic cloud, one of the satellite galaxies of the Milky Way.

Radio emissions tell us that the visible galaxy is actyually surrounded by a cloud of gas 14 times the diameter of the galaxy we can see.

There are areas of active star formation, which are the reddish pink areas in the image.

It was discovered by William Herschel on April 27th, 1788.

As with my previous image, time constraints meant that I had to bin my colour data.

The close-up is a 100% crop.

Scope. TMB 152@F8

Camera Atik 16HR

L-22 x 600s, 1 x 900S

R-14 X 180S

G-14 X 180S

B-14 X 240S

Ha-6 x 600s

R,G,B & Ha all binned 2x2.

Total imaging time- 7 hrs 15 minutes.

Imaged on the 7th, 8th & 9th of April 2011.

Hope you like it.

Rob

post-14403-133877627563_thumb.jpg

post-14403-133877627568_thumb.png

Great details throughout this nice galaxy, colour is really good too. It's often called the box galaxy and looks strangely rectangular through an eyepiece, not sure if you've seen it visually too.

Very nice work. Cheers,

Rich.

Thanks all :)

Martin....I decided to go for the shorter binned subs after chatting to you at SGL6....time was short and it was the only option but it's worked well.

Rob

I have heard of this one but not usually tackled by anyone, it reminds me of the cocoon galaxy 4490 I think you imaged a few years back. You have captured its detail very nicely indeed, there is a lot going on inside.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived