SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteor found??

Abernus

Hi all,

My folks bought a new house last year and have just got round to doing the garden. When digging it over and throwing the rocks out they came accross one that was very heavy for it's size.

When they looked at it; it was extremely smooth on 1 side and course on the others, magnets also have a very slight attraction to the rock. Doing a bit of reading these are some of the tell tail signs of a meteor. Does anyone know if/where we can get this verified at in the UK? Preferably in the North East area of the UK.

Thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to take it to a Museum with a good geology section. They may well refer you to the Natural History Museum in London where they have the facilities to examine the stone in depth.

Here is their website offering advice on this:

Meteorites | Natural History Museum

By the way, it's a meteor when we see it flash across the heavens but it's a meteorite when it's fallen to earth.

You need to take it to a Museum with a good geology section. They may well refer you to the Natural History Museum in London where they have the facilities to examine the stone in depth.

So in the North East the Centre for Life might be worth a shout, or maybe the Discovery museum. I'm sure there was one near the entrance to exhibition park but i can't find anything on it. Hmm...

Hi, you could bring it along to the Earth Science Dept at Durham university. I'm a geologist and geochemist there and regularly have people bring in meteorite 'finds' for identification. Cheers, Geoff

Thanks for the information. I will pop round to my folks house later today and grab a few pics of it and post them up later on tonight. I will also drop off the info to them, they may pop down to Durham university as it's only 5 mins down the road from us.

Sorry fot the delay in getting back with the pictures, but as Sunday was such a nice day we took our 1yr old to the beach. Kind of the first time he has been in the sea and he loved it :) By the time we finished he was so tired he didn't want his supper. Early night for him and time to relax for mum and dad ;)

Anyway as I said here are some pics. I have placed it on some kitchen roll folded in quaters:

post-17227-133877629193_thumb.jpg

post-17227-133877629207_thumb.jpg

post-17227-13387762922_thumb.jpg

Geoff if you think this is worth investigating further my folks and I would love to pop along to Durham University with it. Can you PM me with dates and times it's best to pop along and where to go as it's a big place.

Cheers

Don`t want to disappoint but it could be foundry slag iron, still worth checking out though.

That would be my bet as well. But worth checking out. If (big if) it is a UK meteorite the value will be high - Barwell specimens retail for around $100 per gram (which is a flake as big as a fingernail) :)

So this one weighs a kilo that's $100,000 .......

That would be my bet as well. But worth checking out. If (big if) it is a UK meteorite the value will be high - Barwell specimens retail for around $100 per gram (which is a flake as big as a fingernail) :)

So this one weighs a kilo that's $100,000 .......

Most of my meteorites were equivalent to about £1 per gram. Depends on the type.

Archived